Chapter 5

Present-day:

Y/N POV:

"We survived on scraps. Canned food, cockroaches, anything we could find," Five says.

We were currently in Vanya's apartment telling her about the apocalypse.

I let out a little chuckle, "You know that rumor that Twinkies have an endless shelf life?" I ask Vanya.

She nods her head.

"Well, it's total bullshit."

"I can't even imagine," she says.

"You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die. So we adapted. Whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to overcome it," Five says.

We all stayed quiet for what seemed like forever.

"You got anything stronger?" I ask Vanya.

I hold up the cup of coffee she gave us. We follow her over to the kitchen and she pulls out a bottle of liquor. I grab two cups out of the cabinet with my telekinesis and set them in front of Five and me. She pours some into our cups and we take a sip.

"You think we are crazy," Five says with a little chuckle.

"No," She begins to say but I cut her off.

"Yeah, she does. I just read her mind."

"It's just... it's a lot to take in," Vanya says.

"Exactly what don't you understand?" Five asks her.

"Why didn't you just time travel back?" Vanya asks.

I mumble an 'Oh my God' as I walk to the couch
while Five lets out a scoff.

"Gee, wish I'd thought of that. Time travel is a crapshoot. We went into the ice and never acorned. You think we didn't try everything to get back to our family?"

"If you all grew old there, you know, in the apocalypse, how come you look like teenagers?" She asks.

I roll my eyes and get up from the couch to put my cup in the sink.

"We told you already. Five must-have gotten the equations wrong."

"I mean, Dad always used to say that...time travel could mess up your mind. Well, maybe that's what's happening?"

Five takes one last sip of his drink and puts the glass down. I can tell he is getting annoyed.

"This was a mistake. You're too young...too naive to understand," Five says as we walk to the door.

"No. Five... Y/N, wait." Five and I stop and look at Vanya.

"I haven't seen you all in a long time, and I don't want to lose you again. Both of you," Vanya says as she turns towards me, " That's all. And you know what, it's getting late, and... I have lessons early, and I need to sleep, and I'm sure you do, too. Here."

Vanya walks over to her couch and fixes the pillows and blankets.

"We'll talk in the morning again. Okay? I promise. Night," She says as she walks to her room.

"Night," Five and I say in unison.

We sit on the couch and wait for Vanya to go to her room. When she closes her bedroom door, Five pulls out the eye that we found in the apocalypse from his pocket.

"Let's go to the place tomorrow morning. We need sleep," I tell Five.

Five nods his head and blinks us to his room at The Academy. He tosses me a pair of his Pajamas and we both change. When we are done changing we get into Fives bed. Five wraps his arms around my waist, spooning me.