Bonfire

Erwin immediately knew that Levi was angry at him the moment he entered his office. From the way he was sitting to the way Levi was glaring at him. To Erwin, it was easy to tell when Levi was in a good or bad mood.

"If you're angry at me, tell me what it is already so we can fix it-"

"Maria told me she used to have a crush on you when she was younger," Levi says. His arms crossed along with his legs, glaring at him. He almost looked too small compared to the chair he was sitting on.

"Oh really?"

"Yes, she said she saw you once before an expedition and that you looked so cool, and then I asked her if she had seen me."

"And what did she say?" Erwin, although he was interested in the conversation, he still didn't understand why Levi was angry.

"She said she didn't see me," the short man says. "She only saw you."

"I still don't understand-"

"Don't you get it? Maria likes you, I know it's a different kind of love but she has admiration for you and-"

    It took Levi a moment to realize what was happening in front of him. Never seen the Commander the way he was looking at him right now. His right hand on his face, covering the lower part of it. His eyes look down, trying to avoid eye contact.

"Wait a second ... holy shit ... no," Levi points at Erwin, accusing him. "You like Maria don't you?"

"It's not like that, I am just very honored to be admired by her."

"No, no, I know you too well-"

"No, Levi it's not like that," Erwin interrupted, trying his best to hide his current blush. Yes, Erwin did find Maria to be quite charming but he wouldn't dare to act on his feelings regardless.

    "Besides, even if it was like that, it doesn't matter, she loves you."

But it was as if Levi was seeing through his soul. Knowing exactly how he felt the moment their eyes met. It was a cold stare, but there was also a softness in them. Even sad but accepting.

"... You know, if you were in love with her and she was in love with you ... I would stay away," Levi's voice became calm. His anger was long forgotten.

    They were supposed to be working but instead, they were talking about feelings and emotions. Something not very common between the two since they always thought that things like that were not necessary to talk about.

"I think you love Maria too much to let her go-" Erwin says but was interrupted by Levi.

"No, I love you both too much to ever become an obstacle-"

    His words came out without notice. They both look at each other's eyes before realizing what Levi had actually said. It was silent for a few seconds until Levi spoke again.

"I mean, I love Maria! Just her!" Levi stutters a little, this time his face red and heat on his cheeks.

    "I don't love you, well, I just think you're tolerable-"

"Levi, it's alright, I know," Erwin smiles, it was sweet and understanding. Maybe words were not necessary between the two after all.

     "Whatever you feel for me ... I know, you don't have to say anything."

    Humanity's strongest soldier was just sitting there, feeling small and a bit intimidated by Erwin's confidence. So sure of himself as well.