Assault on Stohess

Levi

"Do you believe in soulmates?"

Maria had something for asking things that I didn't want to talk about. Well, not that I didn't want to talk about it, it's more like I did not want to think about it.

"Not really," I said, paying attention to the moon and stars above us. It had become accustomed between us to come talk on our cottage's rooftop. Maria was the one who started coming here and I just followed along to ensure her safety.

"Really? But you already have a soulmate!" she turned her head to look at me and I looked into her eyes, a view I would never get tired of.

"And who's that? You?" I wanted to tease her but seeing that she was being serious, I didn't want to disregard her idea.

"No, it's Erwin, it's pretty obvious."

If I could laugh, I would. To me, Erwin was a great friend. Humanity's hope, everyone's hope. I followed him because he's seen things I haven't and he always knew what to do, which I honestly found comforting.

"What? I don't like Erwin in that sense," I went back to look at the stars. "And it's weird for you to say that ... You and I are dating."

"Well, a soulmate doesn't necessarily have to be romantic," she said. She came closer to me, a warmth came along with her and I began to wonder why it didn't occur to me to do that in the first place.

"It can be just someone you like, a friend, family ... There's also other kinds of love, and whether you know it or not, you love Erwin, Hange, and everyone else too."

I tried to listen as best as I could. Love was something I did not fully understand. Never mind, I didn't understand anything about it and I hope Maria could help me with that.

"But you have to admit Erwin is also very handsome," she said. "Don't you think?"

I have to admit that it annoys me that Maria thought so highly of Erwin. She had always been vocal about her admiration for him and although it was nice to have your significant other think highly of your friend ... It also made me feel slightly jealous.

"I have no opinion about that."

"I mean there's nothing wrong about thinking Erwin is handsome, I think Leah is really pretty," the window moved her hair a little. The moonlight landed on her skin beautifully. Today her lips were slightly painted and I felt betrayed at that moment because I haven't tasted that lip paint before.

"It's different for men," I replied as I thought of ending the conversation by just kissing her. "And you know I'm not the best at communicating."

"I didn't know you cared about being masculine ... I mean, I won't force you to say it but you should compliment him once in a while," she looked a bit cold and I immediately moved my body closer to hers, I wanted to embrace her but I didn't know if she wanted to be held.

"It doesn't have to be about his looks, it can be about his shoes or something."

"And why would I do that?" I asked, even when the idea alone was buffoonery to me. My friendship with Erwin didn't need that or at least that's what I thought. We mainly talked about work, but I did appreciate it whenever he gave me advice.

"Compliments from a friend are appreciated ... especially if you can't say 'I care about you' openly," Maria said. "But then again, maybe compliments aren't necessary, you two are soulmates after all."

The idea was getting tiring, because the idea was just absurd. I didn't believe in soulmates. If anything were to bother me, it was that Maria was just so willing to accept that there was someone else important in my life besides her. Doesn't she care about how important she is to me?