Chapter 30 - Hamid

With Yazid's wedding already taking place and Amani yet to get back to her feet, I couldn't even think about Rahmat that much. Also, the shocking news of Amani's pregnancy contributed a lot.

Yesterday the doctor came with her tests results and announced to everyone in the ward that she was pregnant.

Her parents expressed happiness and so did she, with her little smile. Somehow I was happy too but deep down I knew it was a big problem for me.

Initially I had told people that the reason why I wanted to add another wife was because Amani couldn't conceive for me but now... now that she was pregnant, what should I tell them?

Even the Kawu Tanko that had promised to help me out after Safiya's wedding would definitely not worry himself anymore. He would say God had brought a solution to my problem hence, the zero need to add another wife again.

Now, undercover marriage was the only hope if really I wanted to marry Rahmat but what if people later find out about it? I was hundred percent sure my parents would be angry with me, they might even curse or disown me.

I texted Barrister Khadija and told her about the pregnancy, thinking she would give me a good advice but guess what? She told me to have the baby aborted secretly using certain medications...

She listed the names of some pills that could work perfectly and assured me of how safe they were. That moment I started wondering if really I was doing the right thing and if really I was associating myself with the right people.

No matter how I cherished and wished to marry Rahmat, I would never hurt my wife because of her. I loved my wife more.

I texted Barrister Khadija back and told her I would never hurt my wife or our baby because of Rahmat or anybody.

I didn't know if she received the text or not but she didn't reply me and I didn't care to text her back or even make a phone call to her, it would be better if she find another plan but not that evil one.

I heaved a sigh looking around the ward, it was only me and Amani. The rest had went back to our family house to grace Safiya and Yazid's wedding.

Amani's mother never wanted to leave but I told her not to worry, after all people would question her absence since she was the one representing the bride's late mother.

"Ya Hamid" I heard Amani called on me.

"Na'am" I turned over to her. I was sitting in a plastic chair, right next to her sickbed

"Have you eaten?" she asked, looking worried.

"No, I'm not hungry" I shook my head gently.

"Okay, whenever you feel like eating just check that warmer over there" she pointed at it and continued, "Zainab brought it while you were off to the mosque, it's spaghetti and God knows I can't eat that now"

"But I don't have apatite" I gulped.

"Even so! Just try and eat, else...you are on your own" she said turning to the other side of the bed.

"Okay, I will" I muttered.

"Good!" She said with her back facing me.

I was already used to her cold attitude, she had been acting cold towards me but nice towards everyone ever since she opened her eyes in the hospital.

Nevertheless, it was obvious she still cared about me. She was just sad because I was nursing the desire of marrying again, and not just to anyone but to Rahmat Ali.  

***************

Sorry for the errs...

10 chapters more and we are done with this book. Let's see if we can cover half of the remaining chapters this week!