Chapter 21 - Amani

Ever since I started writing exams I began losing weight. The truth is, I didn't used to get enough sleep plus Ya Hamid's disturbances almost every night.

I just had to deal with it because I had nothing to do about it. Hopefully, after my papers I would rest all I can during the day while he's away...off to shop.

After driving me to school today himself, we bade each other goodbye and I couldn't help but watch as he drove away with a charming smile on his face.

God knows I could trade practically everything to see him happy, as long as he's happy...I am happy too. I smiled and left the parking lot just as he was out of sight.

Lateefah upon seeing me in class squealed and said I looked like a sick person. I only rolled my eyes at her and greeted her, "Good Morning" I said.

"Morning, why are your eyes this red?" She asked as I settled down in our seat.

"Lack of sleep, of course" I said trying to go through my handout before the invigilator comes in.

"Lack of sleep?" She smirked making me to sigh.

"Yes, lack of sleep... nothing more" I gulped not wanting to talk further about it.

"Sorry," she sarcastically said and continued. "I know it's not just that, if Hamid is also contributing then know that he will amend as soon as you start conceiving"

By mentioning the word conceiving, the thought of conception came into my mind. It's been few months since Ya Hamid and I started making love but yet, I hadn't conceive for him.

Our family house had already began asking about it, some had even started recommending some herbs for me to use. Ya Hamid only told me to pretend deaf ears to them.

*

After rounding up our paper for the day, I decided to stay and read in school for our next paper which would take place the following day. I knew if I go home I may not have enough time to read, and in the night Ya Hamid may not let me be.

Lateefah left after having bought some snacks and drinks for me from the cafeteria. She said I needed to eat well in order to regain my strength, she was right. After eating I could now concentrate pretty much on my books.

While reading, a senior colleague (200L Pharmacy) passing by with her friends saw me and decided to come see me. Her name was Habiba, she was popularly known as BeeGirl though. We'd never talked before hence, I was curious as to why she came to see me.

After exchanging (Salam) greetings, she placed a big nylon on my desk and told me she and her colleagues were selling arewa caps for men. "They are good, won't you buy for your brother and your... husband?" She asked.

I didn't used to tell people about my personal life apart from Lateefah, but almost everyone knew I was married. Well, whenever Ya Hamid brought me the kind of smile and byes we used to exchange was enough to make them jump into conclusion since I didn't used to do that with Yazid. They might be thinking Yazid was my brother, how funny!

Nonetheless, I had no intention of hiding whom I was to anyone. I am a married woman, so? Why do I even need to hide that from anyone? Surely, conception would even reveal the truth some day if I should ever lie to them.

I went through the caps she advertised to me and hopefully, I got 3 that I believed would fit some of Ya Hamid's caftans. I asked how much and she told me 15k each. I didn't know when I shouted.

The price was too much for me, I told her if that's the case I would only take one but she pleaded with me not to... and then reduced the prices for me to 10k each. Still I wasn't satisfied, we kept bargaining until she sold the caps for me at 6k each.

Indeed some business people will not see the Light of Allah, they will buy something at a very low price and then sell it at a very high price. Imagine adding 9k to a cap that could be sold at 6k. I believed even in that 6k, she's profited enough the fact that she didn't look like someone at loss.

My business people, please we should fear Allah. We should fear the day we would die, the day we would stand in front of Allah. That day we would be left with no tongue to lie or argue with. Everything is written and our body will testify.

There is no sin in adding some amounts to what we sell, but the amount should not exceed the amount we used in buying such items. Someone will buy something 1k and then sell it 5k, that's too much!

Habiba and her friends left, thanking me for the patronage. I'd only smiled and nodded my head in acknowledgement. If I hadn't been wise, they would have mercilessly ripped me off.

*

After reading for few hours, I reached out to Ya Hamid to come pick me up but he told me he was busy. Hence I called Yazid. I left the school around 1pm, and upon arriving home I prayed and prepared lunch. Tuwon Shinkafa and vegetable soup, which I packaged Ya Hamid's own and sent it to him.

Thus, I rested broadly till quarter to 5pm. I prayed Asr and took a warm shower before changing into a kimono. Somehow, I missed Ya Hamid. I took my phone to call him and ask how he was and also if he'd enjoyed the lunch but his line was unreachable.

That was odd because he was always available before. Was it network problem or what? I made few calls to some of my friends to see... and surprisingly it worked, which means the bad network was from Ya Hamid not me. I sighed hoping he was alright.

The whole house was boring without him, even though I used to be fed up with his persisting disturbance I could undeniably agree to the fact that his presence makes more sense to me than his absence. At least I could stare at him every now and then, and also hear his voice.

I watched few movies and in the evening, I prayed magrib and later Isha. At this moment, I began to panic. Ya Hamid had never been outside this long, not since we became so close. He usually return from the shop around magrib or isha, sometimes earlier than expected.

But today, I just didn't know. I had to make a call to Rukayya, one of our salespersons. When she picked the call we greeted and I went straight to the point, I asked her where my husband was and she told me he left the shop since morning.

I asked if he told her where he was going to and she told me he didn't, but she believed he went after someone he probably knew. Perhaps a friend. She couldn't complete her words when my small phone began ringing. I cut my conversation with her and then picked the small phone.

Fortunately, it was Ya Hamid. I heaved a sigh of relief before pressing the green button. "AsSalama Alaykum" I said calmly.

"Wa'alaykumus Salam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh" He responded with a soathing voice.

We greeted and he said he called my other line but then he found out I was on another call, so he decided to call the second line.

"It's alright my love" I said and asked how he is.

"Alhamdulillah, I'm fine wallahi"He said and then told me he was already by the gate waiting for Yazid to open for him.

When he was finally in, I rushed and hugged him affectionately. I had missed him so very much, you know? Plus I was worried.

Ya habibiy,
Masoyi na,
My love,
Dulzura de mi vida,
Mi amor,

All for him alone!

We hugged for like forever before we finally averted from each other. He looked tired and hungry by the way.

***************

Another update, how was it?

Sorry for the errs as usual.

I won't promise another update soon though, but hopefully I should be able to update tomorrow.