Chapter 10 - I Might Survive

Bonus chapter outside of upload schedule! I usually am posting these on Tuesday and Friday, but here is a bonus one! I am currently writing chapter 13, so I am ahead of schedule. My plan is for 32 chapters in total, but that may change :) (Also, why is this music video such a vibe? I am living for it!!!!)

Simon went to bed exhausted the night before, but awoke feeling even more drained the next day. He wondered if he had any sleep at all, dreaming of Wille, Sara, August, everything. He went into the kitchen the next morning to see Sara already up and dressed, sitting at the table on her phone. She looked up at him and smiled, "Morning Simon, sleep okay?"

"Not really. Thinking too much. Is mum around? I need to talk to you both."

"I think I heard her in the bathroom earlier, she shouldn't be long. What to you want to talk about?"

Without saying a word, he removed the notebook from his pocket, placing it on the table. He also pulled out the letter from his pocket, holding it up, "I don't think you read this, did you?" 

"No, what is it?" He tossed it to her, sitting down and resting his heavy head in his palms. A few moments later, Sara sighed.

"Oh God." She leant back, rereading it.

"I know."

As Sara read it again, their mum walked in. "Why so serious? What's that?"

"What do I do?" Sara passed her mother the letter who read it quickly, her face becoming more and more concerned as she continued.  

"Do you want this, Simon? What do you want?" His mother always knew how to get him to understand things better, how to understand himself.

"I don't want you guys to get caught up in all this. It's not fair, I don't want this to affect you."

Sara and her mother looked at each other, understanding each other.

Sara spoke; "Simon, you need to stop worrying about us so much, worry about yourself. What do you want? We can deal with whatever you choose, as long as you make the right choice for you."

Simon lifted his head, retrieving the notebook from in front of him. HIs mother put her hand on his back, rubbing it softly.

"Sorry Sara, today is meant to be about you moving to Hillerska, not about all this."

She said nothing, but secretly harboured feelings that he was right. It was always about Simon, always about Wille. She understood that this would affect her life too, she would be always associated with the royals, but all she wanted was to be liked, to fit in. How could she do that when she would always stick out?

...

When the time to go to Hillerska came, Simon helped Sara load the car up with bedding, clothes, and her riding boots. She seemed keen to go, to see Felice, to be part of that other world. 

"We ready?" Asked Simon, hoping that he could have a few more minutes with Sara at home.

"Nope, all done." Their mother, like Simon, seemed happy for her, but was clearly upset to see her go. They piled into the car, Sara sat in the passenger seat, leaving Simon in the back. As they buckled up, Sara could barely contain her excitement. Simon leant back into the seat, looking down at his hands as they began to move. His fingers interlocked, head heavy from his thoughts, he listened to Sara and their mother talking about her moving away, and if she would ever come visit them at home. Simon's head lifted, looking out over his home town passing in a blur. Everyone knew who he was, he could never move away from being the boy in the video. Only some people actually believed Wille in his last statement, especially round here. Gossip travels fast, but it was all passed over now. Did he want to be at the centre of everyone's criticism for the rest of his life, much like Wille is now?