Per Aspera Ad Astra

Per aspera ad astra
"through hardships to the stars"

It was a quiet November night Lisa would love to spend cuddled up on the couch, staring mindlessly at the skyline from their new, small, apartment. Too bad, the one person she had envision her night with, seemed to have other plans.

"It's just dinner, Lisa." Jennie says as she kneels to the ground to look for a pair of black stockings to go with her dangerously short dress Lisa voluntarily chooses to ignore.

She studies the curve of Jennie's body and how her face stays looking down at the drawer she's too busy inspecting instead of looking at her in the eyes.

"Exactly. It's just a dinner. Why can't I come then?" Lisa shoots back and she can feel that familiar uncomfortable feeling raising from the pit of her stomach to her chest, paralyzing her.

"Look" it's enough to make her turn her head and finally face Lisa "my dad wants me there. It's not like I'm going for my own personal pleasure."

Lisa hangs by the doorstep, her body language cautious to not surpass the invisible line that she knows would push Jennie over the edge. Still, she can't help the next words that come out her mouth. She just had to know.

"Is he gonna be there?" She asks and she hates the feeling of guilt that almost swallows her whole when in fact she should not be the one feeling this way. Jennie, on the other hand looks like she always does: composed, laid back and regally annoyed.

Jongin had started working for Jennie's dad as soon as he graduated, alongside with Jennie, from the top University in Korea for Business and Management. Lisa had despised his face from the first time she had introduced him to her as a classmate. They were freshman back then and, officially, just friends. It meant that she had no right to want to punch the guy in the face. Now, things were different. For once, she was no longer a freshman.

"My dad? Obviously"

She never really went to college, actually. But, she was in a relationship with Jennie and, whether it was of public domain or not, that did not mean she enjoyed seeing her girlfriend being hit on by random, business guys wearing overpriced suits.

"I'm not talking about him"

"Lisa..."

For a splint second Lisa sees through Jennie. She knows exactly what she's talking about. She knows her doubts, her worries. Yet, she does nothing about it.

"Answer me"

They look at each other like two fighters at a death ring, one that Lisa knows she is going to lose. This has been happening a lot lately, sometimes she looks into the black haired girl's eyes and she feels scared. She knows Jennie would never lay a hand on her, what ignites such deep fear inside her are her words.

"Yes, he's gonna be there."

And they hurt.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't think it was worth mentioning. I still do."

Every time.

"Your dad wants you to marry him, how is that not worth mentioning?"