Magical - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Be careful what you wish for

            When I woke, it was to the sound of two voices. One I strangely recognized as Alume’s, and the other was higher, a girl’s.

            “Is she all right?” The girl’s voice asked.

            “She’s fine, Chi. Just a little shocked. We can’t really blame her.”

            CHI?! I was confused, and found myself wishing that this was all just a horrible nightmare, and I would wake up soon. But would dreaming that you were kidnapped by a bunch of trees and your pets be proof of insanity? Then again, actually believing it was happening was probably far more insane…

            I opened my eyes and looked up to see the canopy above me, small trickles of sunlight passing through. I found that I was upright, against a tree trunk, still mostly bound. “Where am I?” I asked, mostly disoriented. I looked to my side to see Chichi, and to my horror, she answered my question.

            “In the forest. But not for much longer.” I felt another small scream escape my lips and a tried to cover my mouth, but my hands were still held by tree roots. I closed my eyes again and found myself babbling.

            “Please, god, please tell me I’m dreaming. Animals do not talk, please Carina, just wake up, wake up…”

            “Calm down, Carina.” Alume said, hopping onto my lap.

            “WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?” I finally yelled, and he jumped a little distance away.

            “My apologies, Carina. All will be explained to you soon. Believe that Chichi and I wanted to tell you sooner, but we weren’t really permitted to…”

            “Tell me what? That you can talk?”

            “No, no. Much more than that!” Chichi said excitedly.

            “All right, let’s pretend that I’m crazy and that I believe this is all real. What is going on?”

            “We can tell you everything when we get you to safety. Chichi, any sign yet?” Alume looked over at Chichi, and she flew up, above the canopy.

            “He’s coming!”

            “He? He who?!” I felt even more confused than before.

            “Our ride.” Alume stated, simply. I heard it before I saw anything. The loud pounding of large wings and a deafening roar. I thought I had a small heart attack when a massive black dragon flew in through the canopy and landed next to me. Our eyes met and I felt instantly nauseous with fear and shock. Alume and Chichi jumped onto the dragon’s back and I felt the tree roots release me slowly. The dragon carefully picked me up before soaring up into sky, forcing even more screams out me. I only finally stopped when my throat was raw.

            It was after I stopped my panicking and just let myself hang in the dragon’s claws that I noticed the beauty of wherever it was we were. The trees seemed to span on for miles before leading up to a large castle and village, backed by even more forest. Wherever we were, it had to be where a dragon in the sky was normal. As we passed over the village, the people looked up at the dragon for only a moment before going back to whatever it was they were doing. I switched my glance to the castle, which was where we seemed to be heading. We landed in a green field, where I was dropped unceremoniously onto the ground.