⠀⠀⤷ relationships

( FAMILY! )

HECATE

━ Godess of magic, Mist, crossroads, necromancy, ghosts, night, and the moon. Also known as the Dark Lady and the Queen of Witches.

━ Esmerelda's mother. At the start of the series, Esmerelda doesn't even realized that her godly parent is a goddess and not a god, and only finds out the truth after Hecate claims her in front of the whole camp two years after she arrives. Despite the rocky start, Esmerelda reveres her mother and dutifully follows her orders to attend Hogwarts and study as many combative spells as she can (unaware that Hecate is priming her to be the best host for Kronos).

━ The respect she holds for Hecate disappears after she coaxes a good majority of her kids to join the Titan Army and to fight for her. Because Esmerelda knows Kronos isn't to be trusted (one of the few times she's being smart), she refuses to join and is ultimately left by her family, worsening her abandonment issues.

━ Things don't get better in book three, Aporia, when Ethan reveals to her that the only reason Hecate broke her oath and had her in the first place was so she could be given away to Kronos as a peace offering, an apology for betraying the Titans back in the first Titanomachy, and a host body for him to use.

━ In book four, Eudaimonia, their relationship hits an all time low when the rest of her half-siblings are killed during the explosion of the Princess Andromeda. Their deaths affected both of them in different ways. While Hecate was hit with grief and a desperation to protect the very few kids she had left, Esmerelda is unable to hold in her hate and explodes on her mother when she tries to keep her from dooming her future. Despite this, Hecate still tries to do better and saves Esmerelda and Ethan after they fall from Olympus.

━ Their relationship slowly mends itself after the Second Titan War. Hecate becomes more protective over her kids and watches them (like a stalker) back in her palace in the Underworld. It gets to the point where Hecate becomes doting, even going so far as to let Alabaster keep Dr. Claymore as a Mistform companion and sending Esmerelda and Étienne recommendation letters in order to give them higher privileges. Esmerelda recognizes how much Hecate is trying and is slowly beginning to tolerate having her for a mother. She hasn't forgiven her for everything and might never, but she appreciates her mother's attempts.