Chapter Forty: A Thousand Content Lives

the final chapter of a thousand words ajsdf;. but don't worry, there's still an epilogue. ignore weird mistakes and typos, enjoy :) xx

dedicated to akacute for the fabulous cover to the side!

* * *

Chapter Forty: A Thousand Content Lives

The anxiety that continued to pass across Jessica's face as we walked along the sidewalk made me chuckle. It wasn't a foreign sight – she's acted the same way every single time an adoption interview is in process. Even when I'm not there to witness it myself all the time, there wasn't a doubt in me that Jessica was fidgeting and squirming the way she was right now.

And who's in the middle of an adoption interview? Yeah, that's right. Darcy is.

I came clean to Richard about Darcy and her situation, as well as Jessica's. He was surprised to say the least, but not as much as when I suggested that Darcy could be candidate number one for "the right kid." He wasn't that keen on the idea at first – I mean, I knew he'd be weary in the first place. The whole suggesting Darcy thing was just a far out kind of shot that wouldn't hurt to try. I was only mildly shocked when Richard came and told me that he pondered over the idea and wanted to arrange an adoption interview with Darcy.

Jessica's reaction when I told her was great. She kinda just stared at me for a moment, blinking and processing, before she burst into a hilarious excitement fit that stacked right under Chris' insane groan on the amusement scale. Thousands of possibilities came pouring out of her mouth, all of which were about Richard and Darcy becoming a family and what would happen if it happened.

All that dreaming, all that confidence, transformed into complete anxiety and desperation for good results. It was understandable. Jessica's so determined to find everyone a forever home and fulfill Sylvia's death wish. With each kid that drives away in a car, the closer she is to accomplishing that. I wanted this wish to happen, too. I can't imagine how ecstatic she will be, considering it's her wish just as much as it is Sylvia's. She's also very fond of Richard and has been ever since he gave us free cake, that it would be a dream if Darcy found a home in him.

After ten minutes of watching her wring her hands and sigh to herself, I pulled her to my side, pausing near a clothing store to keep out of the way from quick walking New Yorkers. "Hey," I said firmly, tilting her chin up to look at me. "Cut it out, would you? You're acting like you're being pressured into murdering someone and you're having a hardcore internal debate over it."

Jessica pursed her lips and released another huge sigh. "I know, I know," she replied, waving her hand as she stepped back. She began walking again, slower this time.

"Whether or not Richard decides to take up this adoption thing, Darcy will be a part of a family one day. She's too adorable to be passed up for the next, what, twelve years?" I continued to tell her as I kept her stride.

"I guess you're right. I just really want Richard to adopt Darcy." The optimism returned as her voice as she began to dream. "I mean, how great would that be, still getting to see Darcy whenever because she lives so close? I would love that so much!" she gushed, wistful.