Chapter Sixteen

Lake adjusted well to being out at school. People talked about her coming out for a few days, but then it all blew over. It felt like things were getting back to normal. Except for the fact that Mia might be leaving for California, and Lake had no control over it. She was also trying to find a hobby. Something she actually enjoyed doing. So far, she tried to do art with Mia, but didn't end up enjoying it. She tried to get into sports, but she didn't like the constant cardio. She tried looking into botany, but found it boring. Lake was starting to worry that she didn't enjoy doing anything. 

Right before lunch, Andrew came up to her. "What did you say to Mia?" 

"What do you mean," she asked, confused. 

"She told me her dad said she could stay with you, but she was still thinking about moving to California. Why doesn't she want to stay?" 

"First of all, I'm a bit offended you think I would talk her out of staying." 

"I'm sorry, that was out of line," Andrew quickly said. 

"Second," Lake continued. "She's scared her dad is going to start a new family without her. She doesn't want to be left behind. I'm not going to do anything to influence her decision because it's not my place." 

"Wow," Andrew says, surprised. "Two weeks ago you were about to get Harold fired for saying something offensive on Twitter, and now you're being very chill about this whole thing." 

"Yeah, yeah, I grew up or whatever." Lake laughed. "You're not going to try and influence her decision?" 

"No," Andrew sighed. "I just want her to be happy. Wherever she is." 

"That's also very grown-up of you," Lake laughed. 

"Are we becoming better people?"

"God, I hope not." Lake laughed. "On a different topic, I need to find a hobby. Do you have any idea what I could do?" 

"Might I suggest sports," Andrew asked. 

"Been there, tried that," Lake replied. 

"Band?" 

"No." 

"Musical?" 

Lake paused. Musical wasn't exactly on her radar. However, it did envolve performing infront of people and being dramatic. Lake thought it sounded appealing. "Actually, I might do that. That sounds fun." Lake said, thinking about it more. Musical actually sounded like a perfect choice for her. "Yes, I'm signing up for musical!" 

"Well, I'm glad I could help," Andrew said. 

They both walked up to their lunch table. Lake was surprised to see Victor, Benji, and Rahim sitting together. Rahim was talking to Pilar, while Victor, Benji, and Lucy were listening to Felix talking about something. 

"Hey babe," Mia said, coming up to Andrew. They both sat down at the table. 

"Hey babe," Andrew replied. 

Lake looked around at the table, "Oh my god, are we all eating together again? Yay." Lake sat down next to Lucy and kissed her. 

"Yeah, it seems like everyone made up," Lucy said. 

"Finally, it took you guys long enough," Lake said. 

"It only took us two weeks to fully make up," Victor argued. 

"Longest two weeks of my life," Lake replied. "Also, off topic, but in the interest of finding a new hobby, I've decided to sign up for musical." 

Rahim looked up at Lake, "Really? Oh my god, this is so exciting. We need more people! Auditions are in a week." 

"What musical are we doing?" 

"Fiddler in the Roof. You know, I can definately see you as Hodel." 

"Cool," Lake said. "I have no idea who that is, but it'll be fun." 

"Oh, don't worry. I'll help you learn everything you need to know about Fiddler!" Rahim replied. 

"Great, thanks!" 

"I also have an announcement," Benji said. 

Victor looked at him, surprised. Lake wondered what he was going to say. 

"I've decided that I am going to start a GSA club here at Creekwood." Benji said. "I think it will spread more knowledge about being gay throughout the school and help closeted kids feel more welcome. I know there are a lot of closeted kids here. It will also be a good place for anyone who's openly gay to share their experiences and help out. So, let me know if anyone wants to join. It's not just for gay people. People of all genders and sexualities are welcome, hence the name." 

"Really, Benji? I think that'll be cool," Victor said. 

"Yeah, it will hopfully make Creekwood a more welcoming place and make it easier for people to come out," Benji replied. "Anyway, does anyone for sure want to come. I need a few names of people who will definately join." 

"Well, you know I'm in," Victor said. 

"Me too," Lake replied. She thought this could be another club she could join. Helping with social change and justice could be something else she enjoyed doing. It wasn't long before the whole table signed up to be apart of GSA. 

"Thank you all," Benji said. "I should hopefully have this started by the end of this week or begining on next week." 

Mia took a deep breath in, "While we're announcing things, I should probably tell you all something. I've been on the fence about whether or not I should go to California with my family. They told me I could chose whether or not I could stay here. I've been iffy about staying, because as most of you know, I have abandonment issues. I think I've finally come to a decision. I've decided I'm going to stay." 

Lake almost jumped out of her seat hearing that. She stayed silent to hear what else Mia was going to say. 

"It's because I like you guys, and I don't want to waste energy making new friends that I'll have for a year. I would miss all the important things in your lives like being in musical, and starting a GSA. And, I can still visit my family. At least if I stay here, I can get the best of both worlds." 

Lake jumped to hug Mia, "I'm so happy you're staying." 

"Me too," Mia said. "Also, I can still stay at your house, right?" 

"Of course!"

"I'm happy too," Andrew said, kissing Mia. 

The bell rang and lunch was over. Lake gathered her stuff and started walking with Lucy. 

"Evenful lunch, huh?" Lucy asked. 

"Yeah," Lake smiled. "I'm so glad Mia's staying. I'm glad Benji's starting a GSA. I'm glad about everything. It feels like after a year of constant drama, things are finally cooling off. Things are looking up for us, right?" 

"Definately," Lucy nodded. "And I have a feeling things are only going to get better." 

Lake smiled and kissed Lucy before she had to go to class.