Chapter 10: Fight or argue? Pick one!

Although I seemed fine on the outside, I panicked on the inside. My vocal cords begged me to scream. I'd lose it if those men in grandma wigs shot everyone... Why did I care so much about the people close to me? Stupid sensitive heart! Love is beautiful, but only when it's related to friends and family. At that moment, romantic love was nothing but a lie to me... a huge one! Anyway, I got distracted for a second. I took a deep breath while leaving Ocean Storm and fixed my gaze on the oldest officer. He glared, seemingly wanting to throw me to the sharks... which was probably true. Even though I trembled, no one made me feel small as efficiently as Dirk did. If the officer knew about Bosch's talent to give me jitters, the guy would've recruited him... Almost forgot! Besides looking at me as if I was a freak, my former husband followed me. I rolled my eyes, unable to believe his stubbornness.

I bit my lower lip, "What are you doing?"

"You aren't my captain anymore, so I can do as I please!" Bosch narrowed his eyes. "I'll teach these bastards something you won't be able to."

"Dirk, you're going to get us both killed!" I ground my teeth. "Stop acting like a child! Haven't you tortured me enough?"

He scowled, "I'll not let you ruin everything like you always do!"

I raised my brows, "Are you sure I'm the one who does that?"

Can't he just leave me alone?

Still holding his damn pistol, the British officer cleared his throat and walked closer. I gulped while feeling the hate coming from his eyes. God, that man would've gotten along perfectly with my stepmother... The same was true about Dirk. They'd have a lot of fun while flogging my back.

"I don't have time to hear your stupid arguments!" the officer glowered. "Come with us now, lady!"

I crossed my arms, "First, it's Captain Storm. Second, you clearly don't know what a real argument is."

When I stepped forward, Dirk laid his cold hand on my shoulder and pushed me back hard. Bosch used to do that on other guys to protect me, but guess what? Now I was the target... How delightful! The British officer frowned, seemingly as surprised as me... Yes, even my enemy knew Dirk was a complete jerk.

"Don't worry about her. She doesn't make any sense," Bosch shot me a defiant gaze. "I'll speak on her behalf."

Unbelievable, wasn't it? I put both hands on my face and controlled myself not to scream... Was that idiot kidding me? That couldn't be happening! I wanted to cry for help, but I had to deal with that on my own. There was no way I'd disappoint my crew because of a stupid and aggressive man who'd made my life a living hell. After straightening up, I approached the angry officer.

"He's had too much rum. You know what I'm talking about since you guys drink a bunch too!" I forced a laugh and gulped. "Anyway, I surrender. Let's get this over with."

I had a plan in my mind already. I intended to use that fake surrender as a way to get more information on the SHA... Yes, it was risky, but I had to try. The leader would probably reveal his stupid evil plan, so I'd take advantage of that... I don't understand why every bad guy tells their strategy! Even Sven couldn't keep his mouth shut when he betrayed me.

Dirk grabbed his cutlass, "This is how a real captain does!"

Glancing at Maartje and Laurens, I hoped they didn't end up injured... All I wanted was to protect my crew and find out more about the SHA! Couldn't my stubborn ex understand that? He was risking everything! If the Sea Hunters Alliance boarded Ocean Storm and found Miguel and the kids, my enemies could murder them. I breathed so fast that I thought I'd collapse... No, I wouldn't let it happen! Dirk's foolish pride and impulsive behavior wouldn't kill my family.