A Month to Love (21)

‘You like cooking.’

‘I don’t hate it,’ I shrugged, watching as she peeled an onion with a distasteful look. ‘Do you?’

‘Depends. If it’s something I’m looking forward to eating I don’t mind but pasta is a little boring,’ Raegan said before leaning past me and producing a knife from one of the drawers.

‘You haven’t tried my pasta sauce yet, I can understand why you’re not excited,’ I said smugly.

‘I thought I was supposed to be the chef tonight,’ she replied. ‘But it sounds to me like you’re offering.’

‘Not to say I don’t trust you with a knife but... yeah, I don’t trust you with a knife,’ I grinned, stepping back as she pointed it at me with narrowed eyes.

‘I don’t usually trust myself with sharp objects either,’ she agreed after a moment. ‘Fine, show me your culinary skills! Seeing as you’re so confident.’

‘I mean, I’m confident in my own skills, but not in your sense of taste,’ I said, nudging her out of the way so I could reach the chopping board. ‘Got some garlic?’

It didn’t take long to get a sauce going but we were absolutely starving by this point. I usually had dinner between six and seven and it was close to nine o clock by the time we finally plated up.

‘Well?’

‘It’s yummy,’ she admitted grudgingly before hastily stuffing another bite into her mouth. ‘A little sweet and spicy? How did you do that?’

‘Family recipe. Can’t share it with just anybody.’

‘Yes, you can!’ she said, pulling a face. ‘Stop hoarding all the good stuff.'

We wiped our plates quickly. I don't think I'd even seen Raegan eat that fast before.

'Okay, this might seem weird but I usually clean up like the second I’ve finished eating. You know, before I get all full and sleepy.’

‘It makes sense.’

We had eaten about double the amount we usually would eat – see that’s what happens when you have a late dinner. You eat too much food and then you sleep on it and you’re not supposed to eat right before bed apparently.

Raegan hopped to her feet, making the chair knock back into the wall.

‘Shit, hope that doesn’t mark,’ she muttered, not bothering to check it.

We were sat in the back corner of her living room where there was a small round table and a couple of wooden chairs which looked like they’d seen better days. It was actually quite a nice spot to eat in because you could see out the back window. I expected there just to be more parking at the back of the apartments but surprisingly there was a community garden of sorts that led into some kind of small wooded area.

‘Thanks,’ Raegan said, giving my hair a ruffle before gathering up our plates and cutlery. ‘Food is always better when someone else makes it for you.’

‘Uh, no problem,’ I replied hesitantly. She had this sweet, genuine sort of smile on her face which threw me off. ‘You’ll have to try my famous tacos next time. Should have been today’s dinner actually – taco Tuesday – but I can push it to tomorrow.’

‘Sounds very meal planny,’ she smirked. ‘And that wasn’t an insult,’ she added quickly, seeing my face light up. ‘I was complimenting you on your uh... organisational skills.’

‘Sure, you were,’ I snorted, getting up and following her back into the kitchen.

I snatched up the washing up liquid bottle as she dumped our plates into the sink.