28. Greed

The halls within the mountain were silent. Only the sounds of my leather boots hitting the ground were heard. I wandered the corridors of Erebor, in search of the Dwarf King. It may not be the best idea I've had, but Thorin's greed is getting way out of hand. I can't stay quite and watch him do all the wrong things. He is blinded by the gold and he must be confronted. If no one will do it, then I will.

In the midst of my walking, I didn't notice I passed Fili until he called out my name. I turned around as he approached me. "Where are you off to?" He asked me. "I'm searching for Thorin. I'm going to talk to him." I stated.

"You're going to talk to him? About what?" Fili questioned, his eyes beginning to show curiosity, yet he seemed troubled by the idea.

"Someone has to tell him what he is doing is wrong. Bard deserves some of that gold, whether Thorin likes it or not. He gave the people of LakeTown his word and I will not stand here and not do anything about it!" I spoke in a somewhat harsh tone.

"Do you have a death wish? If you haven't noticed, you and Thorin aren't exactly on good terms right now. I wouldn't advise you to do this."

"I don't care. I'm not doing this for me or my own entertainment, Fili. I'm doing this for the sake of the people of LakeTown. Thorin can say things and call me names, but I know he wouldn't harm me in any way. I got this. You have to trust me." I assured him, however he still looked unconvinced.

"Fine," He sighed in defeat. "But I must say, The Night Rider does have more guts than all of us combined." He lightly smiled.

"Why would you be afraid of your own uncle?" I asked.
"You know how he can be. Especially right no-" he stopped mid sentence. The noise of large boots got closer and closer. Thorin, probably. I didn't realize Fili had rushed out of here until I felt his presence was gone. You have got to be kidding me, I thought to myself as he left me alone to confront the Dwarf King.
He slowly walked towards me, stopping so that he wasn't near me but that I could still see him. He had a stern look on his face, arms behind his back. I was expecting him to yell at me, but instead he nodded for me to follow him. I was left perplexed for a second but started to follow him to a balcony at the end of the corridor.
I silently approached Thorin, mimicking what he was doing, leaning against the banister and stared off into the distance.

"You're not changing your mind, are you?" I broke the silence after a long while. I was afraid he was angry after hearing what Fili and I were saying, but after all, he did lead me here so he obviously wanted to talk.

"I am aware of the reasons you gave for giving the Bowman some of my gold, but my answer is still no. I will not part with a single coin. Not one piece of it." He said as he kept his eyes locked on the city of Dale ahead of us. I sighed, closing my eyes. Looking out to the distance, the sun was beginning to set, a cool breeze brushed past me.

"A king would never go back on his word, Thorin. Never." I spoke softly. I was careful with choosing my words. One mistake and it could set him off. And it would not be pretty. "The people of LakeTown need to build their homes again. That gold could help them."

"And then what? Share it with those filthy elves?" Thorin frowned, speaking harshly.
"Not all of them are filthy, as you call them. For example, Lord Elrond has helped you in various ways so you can't just label all elves with a bad name. But besides that, Thorin, you gave them your word. And I'm not asking you to go ahead with the idea but please, at least consider it. Please."

He turned to face me. "You'd make a fine princess."

"I beg your pardon?"

"You think I didn't notice when you and Fili made it official. I know my nephew better than anyone, and I can see he is clearly in love with you. This conversation brought out your real character and I can envision how it would be like when you rule side by side with Fili later on."

"How can you be so sure? That what you are saying is true?" I asked him.

"If I were to tell you to stay away from my nephew, would you?"

"Of course not." I answered.

"Exactly my point. So yes, I will think about my decision. But I'm not guaranteeing I am changing my mind."

"That's all I'm asking of you." I replied, feeling a small weight being lifted off my shoulders.

"You should head on back inside now, it's getting late." Thorin suggested. I nodded, saying goodbye to him as I walked back.

I released a sigh I'd been holding in for the longest time now. Being quite surprised was my only emotion, considering our talk didn't involved screaming and crying. I shouldn't be too happy about Thorin rethinking his decision about the gold because there's still a chance he won't change his mind. If that's the case then I don't know what I'd do next.

Or what his decision could lead to.

Most of the time, I may not show how I am really feeling. On the outside, I could look tough and strong. On the inside, however, I could be scared of my mind. That's how I'm feeling right now. My mind had been racing with so many thoughts that I couldn't sleep this night. The thought of war happening frightens me. None of us would be prepared for it. And the outcome could be either good or bad.

-----------------------------------
Got another chapter done! Yey.🌝 sorry this is a bit boring :/ but yeah it will get better!😄😏