Chapter 55- Prologue

5 years on

Golden eyes glowed in the dark pinning me into place as its stare not only ripped through my awareness but drilled in penetrating deep down to my very soul. I read the intensity of pain in those eyes as easily as I felt my own.

Two souls once whole now torn apart could only but bleed for the other. 

I tossed and turned on the rackety old farm bed till a hand reached out shaking me awake.  My lids flew open to stare in shock at the deep blues that returned my gaze.

"Kira?  Are you alright?  You were having that nightmare again."

I stared into the worried eyes of Brian Pall. The nine year old son to Damon Pall and nephew to the golden eyed devil that haunted my dreams even five years on.

"No..no... I am fine," I said feebly letting my sweat soaked head fall back onto my damp pillow.  I rested there staring up at the blank ceiling above me.

" Do you think it will be today?" The quiet tones of the vampire boy beside me rang with worries of their own. I was instantly ashamed at my own failings.  I should be the one offering comfort to him but here I was instead dwelling in my own obscure past.

"Oh honey, " I whispered soothingly. " I don't think it will be a time yet. In fact I am certain it will never happen at all. If your father had his way, this dispute will be settled without bloodshed. And you know just how determined your dad can be. In  no time at all you can leave my parents farm and return back to your home. "

I stared into the trusting blue eyes of Brian and wondered not for the first time just how did I keep getting myself into the midst of what was surely vampire business.