Chapter 41

Six months later

" Can you help with the flowers?  We need to bring these sashes along and those pins too," I said pointing at the little pin cushions.  I didn't know why the bride had to get partly dressed in the church.  She looked plenty dressed up already. All these extras were just messy. But that was vampires for you. A more irrationally demanding bunch of people I have never met.

I found it strange too that the bride was departing for the church from our home. I guess living together made all the difference these days. They were considered virtually married anyway.  Still where was the romance in this way of doing it.  I found it odd that I was the only one with a romantic bone in this place.  But then again Lucian was my best friend and I love him. More then was sensible really.  I couldn't be happier for him today.

I turned to catch Damon's eye and rolled my eyes at his pained expression.  Damon and I. Who would have thought it? It has been six months since the accident.  Since Lucian and I suffered serious head trauma in an accident.  I, it seemed had been in a coma for months before I recovered with only partial memories. Lucian too suffered from similar memories blocks but his vampire nature had him springing back into the swing of things in no time.

I almost didn't make it myself.  It was Damon who saved me. I had needed his blood to survive.  Having been in trauma and then the coma for so long weakened my body. I didn't have the strength I used to. Serious blood loss had meant pints of blood being pumped into my body. Most of which had been Damon's own. It was how I had survived at all or so Cassie informed me.

I gathered the few sashes that had fallen free from the pile and set off after Damon.  I caught a glance at my reflection in the mirror as I strode past. I couldn't help marvelling at the glorious burnt amber tones to the healthy shine of my thick hair and then there was how my dress fitted my figure essentuating the still newly acquired curves of the past few months.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I had taken in my gaunt and bloodless pale profile in the mirror. I still didn't understand how ot could have happened. Being in a coma had me hooked up to be fed intravenously. Surely that would have prevented the condition I had found myself in. 

I lifted grateful eyes up at Damon who had stood by me through thick and thin. It seemed strange that he would at all.  That he cared this much for me.

But I didn't let on that I sometimes felt uncomfortable with his proximity.  That sometimes when his lips brushed mine I felt a jolt of panic. That even though he held me tightly in his arms each night, the  hollow in my chest felt heavy. I would get anxiety attacks at the strangest moments.

Like when Lucian had Vanessa move in with him. Or the time I bumped into them making out in the media room. Then there was the matter of his engagement.  I felt as if my heart had turned to stone then but Damon had laughed it away explaining that Lucian and I shared a bond. A bond that survivors of fatal accidents share.

I guess I was just jealous that he had found his happily ever after before me.

But I refused to let such negativity spoil such a perfectly marvellous day. Lucian would wed Vanessa today and Brian, Damon's son will be here to witness the event.

I have yet to meet Brian. Having spent the duration of his parent's divorce with his mother, Brian would finally be with us. With Damon and I.

I turned to grin up at Damon as he relieved me of my burden, depositing the lot into the trunk of the car.

"After you my love," he whispered huskily to me sending a flush of excitement rushing to my cheeks.  My smile widened then I lifted my skirts and moved to take my seat beside him for the trip to the church.