5: In Your Room

Eight hours later, 2:13am, Madrid, Spain, the villa:

The dimly lit dusk skies had long perished as the night progressed, leaving behind total pitch black. Poppi slumbered on Martin's shoulders, as did Esme on Alan's. Luggage in hand, they sauntered through the dark, towards the villa which would be their home during their stay in the country. Once they had at last arrived inside the building and placed their own belongings beneath the coat pegs, they carried their daughters and theirs up the slender flight of stairs and into their designated bedroom they were going to be sharing. Neither one of their children were awoken by the motions of being tucked into their beds. Both Alan and Martin each left a singular kiss on each of their heads before Martin switched off the lights and closed the door. The couple then went back downstairs to prepare to go to bed themselves. Another long day awaited them.

~~~~~
Eleven hours later, 1:31pm, the back porch:

Alan was feeling jet lagged but he knew that, as a father, there was little time to sit and rest. However, an opportunity to do so seemed present when his daughters decided that they wanted to play outdoors.

"Alright, ladies, but let's put your sunscreen on first." He walked over to the cabinet and began looking for the sunscreen bottle.

"Why do we need sunscreen? It's March!" Poppi asked with a tilt of her head.

"Because the weather here in Spain is much different at this time of year than where we live, Poppet." Her father chuckled. "The sun gets very, very hot and we have to be careful or it'll burn you."

"Yeah, I don't like sunburn, Daddy." Esme gave a slight frown.

"Neither do I, Mae. So, that's why it's important to wear sunscreen; it'll protect us from the rays." Alan proceeded to begin applying the lotion to Esme's arms, legs, face and neck and he then repeated the same process with Poppi.

"Is' all sticky!" Esme giggled at the sound her cheeks made when she tapped them.

"I suppose it's meant to be." Alan shrugged back, smirking. "Are we about ready, then?" He asked, to which the children responded by frantically nodding their heads. "Okay, okay, let's get out there!"

Poppi leapt off of the counter on which she had been sitting and she and her sister scrambled over to the door, waiting for their father to open it. When he did so, they all stepped foot into the hot outside. Where they were quick to find Martin and Dave already sitting on two separate deck chairs that surrounded the swimming pool, relaxing beneath the warmth of the sun. Allowing his daughters to go their own ways, Alan joined Martin in sitting on a third deck chair beside him.

"Afternoon," He said, putting his sunglasses on.

"Hey." Martin smiled, patting his husband on the thigh.

They began to engage in small talk whilst still maintaining a close eye on their daughters, who had meanwhile ran in separate directions to entertain themselves.

~~~~~
Four hours later, 5:40pm, the picnic table:

It had been a jam packed afternoon and not a care in the world had been felt by anyone. Alan and Martin had taken advantage of the availability of relaxing whilst Poppi and Esme had been swimming and playing with their uncles for hours upon end. But now, dusk was arriving once again. The skies were still of a distinctly clear blue but were beginning to darken down and grow into a deepened shade. Everyone sat at the table beneath the shelter of the gazebo, eating and immersed in conversation, when suddenly Poppi was hit with an idea.

"Hey, Papa," She said through all of the other voices.

"Yes, lovely?" Martin replied.

"After we finish tea, will there still be time to go on the trampoline?"