1: I Feel You

March 18th, 1993, 2:23pm, the classroom:

"So, who can tell me the answer to 2 multiplied by 3?"

The drop of a pin could be heard.

"Oh come on, Year 2, this is one of the easier ones!" The teacher encouraged.

But the class remained silent, and it was beginning to agitate Poppi. She felt restless in her seat and wanted to break the ice and give the answer, yet was merely too afraid to raise her hand.

"I'll pick on someone,"

That worried her even more. She began frantically searching for the courage to just do it, as she knew the worry she felt at that moment was worth nothing. Giving her surroundings one last look over, it didn't seem as though anyone else was going to answer, so she at last gave in and raised her hand to shoulder level.

"Poppi?"

"It would be 2 lots of 3, so 6." She breathed, crossing her fingers under the table and hoping her answer was correct.

"That is absolutely right; well done!" The teacher praised her before explaining the equation to the rest of the class.

It sent a warm feeling throughout Poppi's body and she slouched into her chair with relief. She couldn't wait to get home that afternoon and tell her parents about what she'd done.

~~~~~
Forty minutes later, 3:05pm, the playground:

Doing the school run on his own wasn't something Alan was used to. Martin always joined him, but on this day, he had decided to stay behind. As to why, Alan wasn't exactly sure, but he knew it had to be in association with the tour they would soon be embarking on. It wasn't for another two or so weeks but he knew that Martin liked to prepare early for any trip they might go on, especially with two children aboard.

The playground was packed but his daughters were hard to miss with their colour coordinated jackets and bags. He headed to the nursery first to collect Esme, who greeted him with a tender, gappy smile.

"DADDY!!" She cried and ran over to him before her teachers could stop her, leaping into his arms.

"Hi, Mae!" He giggled, rubbing her back. "How was your day?"

"Gud! I got to pway in the sandbox and-and I dwew FIVE pictures!" She beamed.

"No way! Sounds like you had lots of fun!" He loved to hear about the things she got up to. "Right, let's go and get your sister." He slung her bag over his shoulder.

As they walked to the other school building, Esme hummed a melody to herself and stenciled her foot around the chalk drawings on the ground. She became so caught up in reminiscing over the day she'd had, she didn't notice Martin's absence until reaching the outside of Poppi's classroom.

"Daddy, where's Papa?"

"Only just realised, have we?" Alan teased. "He's at home packing your suitcases I think."

"Suitcases? Are we goin' holidee?" His daughter perked up further.

Alan tilted his head before responding. "Hm, almost. We'll explain more at teatime."

"Ok-hey!" She shrugged, darting her head on a lookout for her elder sister.

~~~~~
Three hours later, 6:14pm, the dining room:

"So, what did you learn at school today, girlies?" Martin asked, setting the plates down.

"I dwew FIVE pictures, Papa!" Esme answered him excitedly, her words slightly muffled from her full mouth.