xi. 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬

Marinette sipped her coffee as she scrolled through her phone for roommate ads. She really needed one. Like right now.

She had moved to Gotham and now she needed an apartment to live in – preferably one that was not too expensive. Currently, she was living in a hotel for almost two months. She could tell the hotel was waiting for her to check out.

"Oomph." Marinette was snapped out of her thoughts when she bumped into someone and nearly spilled her coffee.

Why did she keep on bumping into people?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason was looking for a roommate. He had just moved into his new apartment (well, actually he moved a few months ago – but that was beside the point) and the rent was far too high for him to pay alone.

(PS, he was not going to ask Bruce for financial help. Bruce could go and screw himself for all Jason cared)

So, back to the issue. He needed a roommate.

Jason was putting up another ad, when he crashed into someone.

Shit.

As he helped the person (a short woman, he noted) up, Jason got a glimpse of what she was looking at – accidentally, mind you – and it was the roommate ad he had literally just put up.

What were the chances?

"Oh, my kwa-gosh! I'm so sorry, monsieur." The woman was apologizing for crashing into him.

Jason gave a dry chuckle. "It's no problem ma'am."

He wondered how he could broach the subject about the roommate ad.

Turns out, Jason didn't need to. The woman did it herself. "Excuse me? Could you please help me find this place?"

She showed him a picture of his ad. Jason took his chance.

"Actually," he said, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "I was the one who made that ad."

To make sure she actually believed him (and to not make things awkward by making her actually ask him to show proof), Jason showed the editing page of the ad.

The woman pressed her lips – she seems relieved, he thinks – and nods. Then she smiles, "Well then. Would you mind taking me for a tour around?"

Jason blew out a relieved breath he didn't even know he was holding.

Finally.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Marinette scrutinized the apartment the man – Jason, she learned his name was – had brought her to. It was spacious, the room that would be hers had enough space for her sewing machine...

In other words, it was perfect.

She turned to her – hopefully – future roommate.

"When can I move in?"

**

2 days later, all of Marinette's luggage had been moved from the hotel to the room.

After that, the two of them went their separate ways.

They usually didn't interact much – Jason got up early in the morning (much earlier than her) and left for whatever work he did.

Marinette usually worked at her studio for clients and at home for her own work – so really, it depended on who she was making a dress for to see if she would go out.

But the change in their relationship started when she walked out and saw a cup of coffee – with a note.

It read:

Hey roomie,

Made a little extra coffee today – thought you might want it.

Jason

And when she sipped it, it felt like heaven. Honestly.

She could say, without a doubt, that no one had ever made such perfect coffee.

So, Marinette did what any normal person did. As she came home that night, she asked Jason to tell her the coffee recipe so she could make it for herself.

"Hey Jason?" she asked. "Would you mind telling me how you made that coffee you left for me today?"

Jason smirked at her. "Why? Did you like it so much?"

"Something like that." Marinette shot back.

That, was the start of their tentative friendship.

Marinette could tell Jason wasn't a person to trust too easily – but that was okay. Because neither was, she.

She was fine with going slow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jason was slowly starting to get to know his new – well, not so new – roommate.

They realized that they were both home at a time so they got to know each other.

He learned that she was from Paris, that she designed clothes.

In return, he told her a few things about himself.

Slowly, they became firmer friends – helping each other out with little things like when Marinette asked him to hold some fabric so she could cut it.

Then, he caught feelings for her.

Of course, he had to.

Of course, he had to fall in love with the closest thing to a best friend he had.

It was like whatever bigger force was up there hated him or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marinette was cussing her heart out into the pillow.

Because like seriously,

Why? Just why, did she have to have a crush on Jason?

She lived with him for Kwami's sake. Like what the hell?

Her life sucked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, the pining period started.

Although she didn't realize it, Jason liked her as much as Marinette did.

Eventually though, they kissed...

And then confessed.

And started dating.