Chapter 34

Sinker felt like he was being left out of the loop. Commander Foreas had been unusually quiet and contemplative ever since the LAAT/i had left them at the port. They were going to travel as immigrants, making a few stops along the way in their path to Ord Anlata. He knew she and his brother Art were hiding something not only because of his Commander's behavior, but also because Art had a tendency to babble on and on when he wanted to cover up for someone. Not that any of this was his business, he wasn't stupid, Wolffe had come to him for advice the night before and Art had always been Commander Foreas' closest confidante. But curiosity ate at him, it was one of his biggest flaws as a trooper: curiosity got you killed. But he figured that if Art wasn't freaking out then it was nothing that would put their lives or mission at risk, so he could let it be for a while.

He honestly couldn't blame Wolffe for becoming involved with Kriari, their commander had been the first non-Kaminoan female they had ever met, and she wasn't an unattractive one at that. She was sensible and knew both her strengths and weaknesses and how to use them to their benefit. She knew clones had more military knowledge than she had and was wise enough to let them take the lead when her own knowledge was insufficient. And most important of all: she cared. Kriari Foreas was both loved and respected in the 104th attack battalion because she treated her troopers like men. She knew everyone's names, or at least most of them, she had risked her life for theirs repeatedly and she made sure to mingle and bond with them when off duty to keep tabs on everyone.

No, Sinker couldn't blame Wolffe, and neither could the rest of their brothers. That's why their situation was the best kept secret of the 104th, the entire battalion would die before jeopardizing their lives and careers, even if some of the newer recruits were more prone to complaining about the unfairness of it all. In a corps so big, the only female aboard did not go unnoticed. Sinker had been forced to beat some respect into a few shinies himself.

Commander Foreas was a good commander, he respected her and he would even go as far as to say he was fond of her. But he would not deny the situation had him a little on edge, they were about to go undercover with no reinforcements for an unknown amount of time, tension generated by secrets was always bad news in a squad so small. He promised himself he would confront the Commander about it when he felt it was safe to do so, for the time being he would try his damned hardest not to look like the well bred soldier he was.

...

"I Promise. I will tear the galaxy apart to find you, Kriari. You will have to. I Promise." The words played inside her head like a broken holomessage. He promised he would tear the galaxy apart. She believed him, every word. The feeling of his lips on her palm followed by the soft and rough texture of his unshaven but well moisturized cheek still tingling on the surface of her right palm.

"I promise, Kriari."

She hardly remembered exhaling or had it been a sigh? She only remembered Wolffe's face, the way it felt, the look in his eyes, the simple truth and conviction behind his words. He had put their foreheads together after, she hadn't known it then but Art had told her what the gesture had meant. She blushed at the memory, she really needed to read up on Mandalorian culture.

No.

She was letting herself get caught in something that could be the end of her. Before, she had believed attachment, love, was supposed to make you stronger, that if one found a way to channell and communicate their emotions and develop healthy coping mechanisms, then it would all be okay. Khorm had made her doubt that, doubt herself. But she never doubted him, not for a second. She knew Wolffe was just as capable of pain and destruction as she was, even more so perhaps, and he had confirmed that, hell he had promised it.