Chapter 3: I'm Who?

Bruce followed Andrea into the unfamiliar law offices of Tate and Tate. Glancing around, he saw a large desk centered in the middle of a sizeable lobby-like area. On each side of the room was seating, consisting of four chairs on each side. Behind the receptionist's desk was a hallway with doors down each side.

"The first set of doors are the offices of Mr. and Mrs. Tate, his on the right, hers on the left. Next are the conference rooms, again, his on the right, hers on the left. Last is mine and Janie's office on the left, and Charles and Ronald's office on the right," Andrea explained in a low tone of voice, "and in the very back is a breakroom of sorts.

Bruce nodded his head in understanding as he focused on the grey-haired receptionist.

"That's Nelda. She's not very friendly," Andrea said in the same low voice. She then put a smile on her face as she moved forward across the lobby and said, "Good morning Nelda."

"Morning Andrea, who is this you have with you?" Nelda inquired with a frown as she looked at him over the top of her glasses.

"This is Bruce. He's—" Andrea's voice tapered off as if she weren't sure exactly how to explain Bruce's presence.

"I'm a friend, and Andrea is helping me out," Bruce answered suavely with a killer smile. "Don't worry. I won't take up much of her time."

Nelda snorted, not charmed by him at all. She then went back to her crossword puzzle, saying, "No skin off my nose what she does. They come, and they go. Why would I care?"

Bruce looked at Andrea with a raised eyebrow.

Andrea just shook her head and led the way to her office.

They stepped inside, and Bruce once more looked around. The ample office space had been divided between two desks. Each desk had a computer sitting on it and two chairs in front of it. It was simple and quite dull as if no one could be bothered to decorate.

"Yeah, I know, it isn't much," Andrea said as she sighed. "I was told we could have a small frame on our desk, but that was it as far as decorating. Apparently, people don't stay long, so Mrs. Tate doesn't allow anyone to settle in."

"Ah... that explains so much," Bruce murmured.

Andrea moved around her desk and sat down.

Bruce started to move to her side of the room, thinking he'd look out her window for a time just as a buxom brunette came in. So, he stopped just to the left side of her desk and politely looked the woman's way.

"Andrea girl, it is gonna be a good day. I can feel it in my bones. I read my horoscope this morning, and it said I was going to meet new people, and—" the woman stopped talking and stared. "Holy dynamite, Batman! Where have you been hiding this handsome man Andrea and why have you been hiding him?"

"Jeannette," Andrea groaned as she put her head in her hand.

"Relax, Andrea," Jeannette huffed. Then strutting over to stick her hand out toward Bruce, she asked, "My name is Jeannette, yours?"

"Mine is Bruce," Bruce answered back with a slight snicker at the "Batman" comment and shaking her hand politely. He then thought this must be the co-worker Andrea was talking about when she mentioned where her outbursts had started.

Jeannette turned to walk back toward the door as she wiggled her eyebrows at Andrea.

Andrea laughed and said, "Yes, Jeannette, I think he's cute too, and no, I'm not sleeping with him."

"Yet!" Jeannette exclaimed.

Andrea just shook her head at her friend.

"Okay, so what is his reason for being here exactly?" Jeannette asked then as she crossed her arms and gave them a stern look.