Chapter Ten

SOFIA P.O.V.

      "Hey, Sof! Are  you excited for tryouts today?" Liv asked me, walking to the stables. She and Madelyn have been bugging me about it since lunch yesterday. 

     Oh yeah, lunch. I don't want to sound stupid, but yesterday it seemed like Hugo might have liked me. Not that he would, I don't know why when he could have anyone from anywhere. But, you know, he called me pretty. 

     "Hey, you in there, sport?" Madelyn waved a hand in front of me. 

     "Whoops," I laughed. "Yeah, I was just thinking." I smiled. I'm really glad I met these two. 

     "Yeah, thinking about a certain someone who's name starts with H and rhymes with bugo" Liv nudged my side, teasingly. 

     "Stoppp, you guys suck" I covered my face with my hands. "And he doesn't even like me." I pointed out.

     Madelyn stopped walking. Girl, I have a boyfriend who is best friends with him. Trust me when I say he doesn't shut up about you. Besides, how could he not like you?" 

     "Yeah! You're gorgeous, super smart, funny, and better than him at flying derby. Like, I bet he goes home and drools at pictures of you." Liv joined. She seemed extra happy today. 

     "I don't knw about that last part. Boys generally are better than girls at this sport. But thank you, you guys are catches, too." I smiled at them. They really are the best. And before I missed my shot...

     "So, Liv. Is there any reason you are extra smiley today?" 

     "Oh, yeah, Olivia. Is there a certain guy you wanted to tell us about. And why you and Christian were late to lunch?" Madelyn elbowed her in the side a few times. 

     "Maybe I got asked out by a certain guy who also sits at our lunch table. And I might have hugged him afterwards." Liv, shied away, walking faster towards the stable, which was now in sight. 

     "Hey! Come back little missy! I expect details!" Madelyn ran to catch up to her, while I just laughed and watched from behind.

     "Yeah, Liv. You can't tell us that and not want to talk about it." I raised my voice, keeping my same pace. 

     Boy, was I excited to get on a horse again. I could only hope I make the team, though. Since this school is known for sports, the level of competition is going to be way harder. 

     "Hey! Sofia!" I turned around to see Hugo running our way. "Wait up!"

     "Oh, that's our cue to go. Good luck and go get your man!" Madelyn winked, then dragged Liv along to the bleachers, where they'd watch tryouts. 

     I quickly tried to brush through my hair, even though it was in two braids and took a deep breath. I feel kinda silly around him. 

     "Hey, I just came from the weight room, but I was sort of hoping we could tack up the horses together. Only if you want though..." He scratched  his neck. His cheeks were red and parts of his  hair stuck to his forehead, but it was cute. Hugo always looked good.

     "Yeah, that would be nice. Even if you stink." I joked and plugged my nose, turning away from him to hide the heat rising to my neck. 

     "Hey, me and the ice hockey team have to train for the off-season. And I won't smell worse than the horses." He wrapped him arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his side. 

     Did I mention he was built very well for a young guy. 

     "Ew, you're sweaty, mister." I pushed away from him, even though I liked the close proximity.