Chapter 75

The second I utter the word, I stamp down, hard, on the bare foot of the man that's holding me, toe claws extended, jabbing them into his foot.
He screams in pain, loosening his vice-like grip on my arms. In that window, I twist, and snarling, knee him where the sun don't shine.
"OOF." Is all he can manage, as the huge man topples to his side with a thud. Instantly, the other, bleeding, cussing man takes his place, roaring and charging at me.
I'm ready for him, adrenaline surging, letting me see things before they happen. He raises a fist to strike, and I easily dodge, spinning on my heel and chopping one hand down, knife-blade style, on the crook of his out-raised arm, forcing it to fold. He spins and swipes at me with his other hand, and I fold my knees at exactly the right moment, falling beneath the hand and throwing my weight on my arms, before hurling my legs around in a full circle, knocking the man's legs out from under him. He crumples to the ground, and I leap up into the air with cat-like strength and reflexes, landing at his side and bringing on foot down firmly in the pit of his stomach, just below the ribcage, knocking the breath out of him.
Panting slightly, I turn away from the wheezing man, and glare at Glass, who nervously pushes his glasses up his nose, taking a step back.
After contemplating jumping at him just to scare him, I turn towards Coal.
Coal, the betrayer, the scoundrel, the lying dirt-bag.
Coal, the fearless, the benevolent, the faithful.
Coal, my friend.