Chapter 41

"So..." I begin, giving Stone a sidelong glance. "Who gave you that scar?" We have to use our hands, by now, the slope is so steep. My fingers dig into a crevice, and I grunt, pulling the rest of my body upwards with a tremendous heave. I've realized long ago that we may actually not be incredibly far from the peak- Though we still have three days, it will take longer now, because it's growing increasingly possible to simply walk on the narrow trail.
"That's one of the things that I can't tell you." He says tiredly, without meeting my eyes. Actually, that's about the fourth time I've asked that. He's said the same thin every time.
"Why?"
"You're exhausting..." He groans, rubbing his eyes.
"You're stubborn."
"Can't you just stop arguing?"
"No."
Suddenly there's a sound, the rasping sound of something scaly against stone, which echoes ominously throughout the cavern, bouncing off the walls forebodingly, as if the mountain itself is warning us to turn back.
"You hear that?"
"Yeah..." Stone breaths, holding his pointer finger to his lips, and creeping slowly forward. We've reached a shallow ledge, a five foot stretch of level ground. He swings himself up onto it, and helps me up, effortlessly pulling me up and around to his side with one hand.
He squints into the darkness again, and the strange sound resonates through the cave again. Both of us turn to each other at the same time, eyes wide, and then we whirl around the other way when we realize it's coming from behind us.
"I don't think it's that big..." Stone murmurs, just as there's a flash of white- From above. Though the cave trail is very narrow, so narrow, in face, that until the ledge I'm resting on, Stone's shoulders have been almost scraping the rock walls on either side. But the cave is infinitely high, so high, the ceiling is lost in shadow our flame can't reach. That place, way up there, that is where the sound is coming from.
Suddenly, an enormous, albino head appears directly above us, big enough to swallow me and Stone whole together, without chewing. And we would be a snack. I clutch Stone's arm so tightly I bet I'm leaving red marks, and we both scurry back against on wall, staring up, wide eyes, as the Beast continues to extend it's neck, seemingly forever, the dragon-like white, scaly face gets closer, and closer, watery red eyes glaring evilly out at us. After what seems like an eternity, it stops, the huge, bent face mere feet away from ours.
"Think again." I mutter, as it opens a mouth too wide to be practical, and a roar like a sonic boom knocks me off my feet.