Chapter 60

Nobody seems to be eager to break the unnatural silence. Even the animals are paused where they had been, some frozen on top of each other, the ear of some creature in another's jaws, about to be ripped off, another reared up onto two legs. Even Coal is silent, (For once)and he only stares at me in slightly awed disbelief, and expectancy.
"Um..." I begin lamely, my hoarse voice breaking the silence like a rusty saw. "Um, don't-Don't kill the... Yeah..." I croak, trying to keep my voice below a whisper, scared to break the spell. He raises an eyebrow at me, and I brace myself for the questions, the accusations.
"Okay." He shrugs after a moment, wiping his bloody swords on his already grimy trousers and sheathing them without a word. I blink in surprise.
"What?"
"I said," He looks back up to me, and his eyes focus on someplace over my shoulder. "Okay... MOVE!!!" And in one, swift movement, he catches me by the shoulders, and throws me to the side. Caught off guard- Well, okay, I'm so pathetic at the moment that I doubt it would have made a difference even if I had expected it- I fall weakly to the ground, skidding on my butt, and looking up just in time to watch as the gargantuan Beast lunges at Coal.