What Is The Egyptian Mummification Process?

Mummification was reserved for the richest and most powerful in Egyptian society. The process was long and expensive. There were three main people who took part in this process: the scribe, the cutter, and the embalmer.

It was the scribe's role to oversee the cutting of the body. The incision was made by the cutter. This procedure was considered unclean, which limited the cutter's position in society. The embalmer was a class of priest which would then prepare to remove the organs and prepare the body. The mummification would take place in a workshop often near the site of the tomb. The process of mummification would last often over 2 months.

The.body would be stripped and placed on a board. The brain was extracted through the nose. The empty brain cavity would later be filled with resin or a combination of linen and resin. The chest would be cut open and.the main organs would be removed with exception of the heart. The organs, after being removed, would be stored in canopic jars with a drying agent. These jars were normally in a set of 4, representing the 4 sons of Horus. These organs may also be wrapped in 4 packages and placed back in the abdominal cavity or be wrapped in 1 package and placed on the mummy's legs. Slightly different procedures would be used depending on the time period in Egyptian history.

The body cavity would be washed and packed with natron, a naturally occurring drying agent in Egypt. The body would dry for up to 40 days. After the body is dried, it's sewn back.together and the cut is sealed with wax or metal. At times, the body may be filled with linens, saw dust, salt, or ash to keep the body firm. Their eye sockets would be filled with linen or fake eyeballs, depending on the time. The body would be cleaned and wrapped in a very thick layer of linen. When this was completed, the body was ready to be transported to the tomb prepared for it.

Source: {http://www.historylink101.com/n/Egypt_1/religion_mummification_process.html}