Most Interesting Medical Diseases/Syndromes

PORPHYRIA- over sensitivity to sunlight, painful skin redness and blisters when exposed to sunlight, garlic causing agonizing abdominal pain, receding gums giving the appearance of fangs... Symptoms of Porphyria, a group of genetic disorders that result in a build up of chemicals called porphyrins produced in the body because of a disruption in the heme production. Heme is an iron rich component of hemoglobin that gives blood its red color. It is a set of rare disorders & are not curable, but managed through regular blood transfusions.

CONGENITAL HYPERTRICHOSIS- some people are born with extra genes on a certain spot of the X chromosome that causes excess hair growth. Its a very rare syndrome with only about 50 cases reported worldwide since the Middle Ages.

EPIDERMAL DYSPLASIA VERUCIFORMIS- an inherited skin disorder characterized by eruptions of wart-like lesions that may occur anywhere on the body. One type of lesions are reddish-brown and may have scaly surfaces and irregular borders; while the second type are seen on sun exposed skin and are often slightly raised, brown colored lesions resembling tree bark.

FIBRODYSPLASIA OSSIFICANS PROGRESSIVA- one of the rarest, painful, and most disabling genetic conditions, in which bones form in muscles, tendons, and ligaments, and other connective tissues. These bones develop across joints, thus restricting movement and forming a second skeleton, making the body look like a living statue. Unfortunately, there's no effective treatment. Injuries and surgeries can further deteriorate the condition.

Source: {http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/ten-weird-diseases-that-will-shock-you/}