Ch 27 - Bath Time

Warning: Tooth-rotting fluff 😁🥰

The boys took up semi-permanent residency in the hospital wing. They brought their homework and toothbrushes and food they sneaked from the kitchens (courtesy of Beezy, the house elf). At night, they slept in beds behind opaque screens Pomfrey had erected to provide them with some privacy. With a great deal of stealth, they also managed to sneak Sean in to see his mum. The small Niffler, usually so eager to sniff out mischief, curled up on the mattress, snuffling into Branwen's side.

While they were waiting, James would rise and pace about the room. His nerves chafed and his fingers twitched every time the thick liquid was drained from his sister's arm. He felt more helpless than he ever had before. He wanted to cradle her in his arms, as he did the day she was born. Her skin had been so soft, her eyes so big. Now she was mottled with bruises and her eyes – it had been days since he had seen them.

Remus too, was yearning to see even a flicker of those deep blue eyes. With her pale face and long, dark lashes laying delicately against her cheeks, he was reminded of the Muggle animation, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. But no kiss would wake her from this sleep; he had tried again and again. And, as lovely as she appeared in repose, Remus would have cut off his own arm to see her brow knit in concentration as she leaned over a piece of parchment, her bottom lip pushed out in a pout, or her delicate fingers resting against his chest. But, like James, all he could do was wait.

James and Remus weren't only ones anxious for Branwen, though. Sirius and Peter rarely left her side, and Emmeline, Alice, Dorcas, and Charity were frequent visitors. The girls helped with the more intimate tasks, like washing her hair and changing her long, white hospital gown. As they were in her year, they were also able to bring her homework and help complete as much as they could.

Lily, Mary, and Marlene often visited as well, though their goodwill was focused on the boys as much as Branwen. They made sure the four of them ate during the day and checked in at night to see that they were sleeping. One evening, nearly a week after Branwen had been admitted, Lily strolled into the hospital wing, a bundle of pink carnations in her arms.

"All right, boys?" She tossed the wilted flowers from the vase beside Branwen's bed into the dustbin, replacing them with the fresh ones. She pursed her lips, eyeing the drowsy boys. "Are you going to be all right for patrols, Rem?"

"What?" Remus' chin had dropped to his chest as he dozed. He blinked at Lily as though seeing her for the first time.

"It's our night for patrols. You know, part of your prefect duties."

Remus groaned. "Merlin, Lily, I can't leave her."

"She won't even know you're gone, Moony," Peter offered.

"She will if she wakes up!" he protested. "I can't leave her. I – I can't let her think I left her alone."

"She won't be alone, Moony," Sirius said. "We'll be with her."

"It's not the same," Remus shook his head. "Prongs – will you go with Lily? Cover for me?"

James met his gaze, their eyes locking over the prone body of the girl they both loved. For the others in the room, it was only a second; for James and Remus it was a lifetime distilled into a moment. From the day Branwen was born, James had been her protector and her companion. She had been his loyal, precocious, and occasionally annoying sidekick. But now, there was someone else. Another man who wanted to take over his responsibilities.

James' eyes flickered to Lily. She was watching the interaction, head titled, arms crossed. It had been some time since James had considered how truly beautiful she was. Lately, he had been focused on becoming her friend, discovering how talented and clever and kind she was. He felt a rush of emotions he never had before. Lily Evans was no longer a childhood fancy or distant dream – she was his future.

Glancing back at Remus, James slowly nodded. It was a changing of the guard. The crown jewel that was Branwen was now under new protection.

Lily, unaware of the everything that had passed between the boys, said, "You can't just trade prefect duties, Remus. I know Branwen's ill, but this is your responsibility."

"Lils," James stood and softly took her arm. She glared at him for the casual use of her nickname, but allowed him to continue. "You know Remus should be here with Bran. I promise, I'll be a perfect gentleman."

Lily watched him warily, waiting for the inevitable joke about snogging in dark corners or starting a prank war with Peeves. But no such comment came. James just stood with his hands in his pockets, waiting patiently for her reply. She sighed. "All right, James. You can come along." She glanced kindly at Remus. "I hope Bran gets well soon."

When Lily turned to leave, James quickly opened the pocket of his robes, letting Sean jump in. He smiled and winked at the boys before trailing after his ladylove.

Remus watched them go, then brought Branwen's palm to his lips, placing a soft kiss against the veiny skin.

What was left of the waning moon shone softly through the hospital wing when, a few hours later, Madam Pomfrey entered for her nightly check on her patients. When she reached Branwen, she used her wand to determine temperature, respiration, pulse, and blood pressure. Remus watched her through bleary eyes while Sirius and Peter slept in nearby beds.

"Well, Mr. Lupin," Pomfrey turned to the boy. "I think it's time we wake our young friend."

"Wake her?" Remus blinked.

"Yes. I finished the last of her blood filtering a few days ago, but she needed extra time for her body to adjust itself, so I administered a Sleeping Spell. I believe she's well enough now to return to us though."

Remus woke Sirius and Peter while Pomfrey gently waved her wand over the girl, then stood back.

The first sense to return to Branwen's body was sight. All she could see though, was an empty, black void. She stared into the darkness as other sensations came rushing back. She could smell the familiar, sterile atmosphere of the hospital wing; she heard her own laboured breathing and the tick of the clock on the wall; on her arm she could feel the heavy warmth of someone's hand.

As her mind began to clear, she realised that her eyes weren't open, which explained her pitch black surroundings. When she had pried her eyelids open, she saw that the hand on her arm belonged to Remus. Pomfrey was standing beside him, watching her with a kindly smile. "Good morning, Miss Potter." She consulted her watched. "It is just past midnight, after all. You're in the hospital wing, dear. Do you remember why?"

Branwen nodded slowly.

"Very good. Now, physically, you're as healthy as hippogriff. But mentally, you will need to take much better care of yourself. I've taken the liberty of arranging a few things that I believe will help you.

"Your room-mates are sweet, caring girls, but, unfortunately, they don't have the time necessary to devote your well-being. I've therefore managed to convince Minerva to let you sleep in the boys' dorm for the rest of the term. And Mr. Filch has brought in a separate bed." She stared pointedly at Remus and Branwen.

"Your friends have assured me that they will keep an eye on you, as have your professors. You will come in every day for the rest of the term for a blood test. And, considering your erratic and dangerous behaviour during your last match, I'm very inclined to bar you from any further participation in Quidditch. However, I will revisit this decision after the holiday."

The boys watched, wide-eyed, as Branwen remained still. They expected her to leap up, to shout, yell, maybe throw something. Quit Quidditch? It was unthinkable.

But she said nothing. Only stared at the ceiling.

"Do you have any questions, Miss Potter?"

"Yes." She finally spoke, turning her head to Madam Pomfrey. "May I take a bath?"

Pomfrey met this rather odd request with a smile. "I should say so. Mr. Lupin, would you please escort Miss Potter to the prefects' toilet? You will find a tap there that emits a rather soothing perfume. I daresay a long soak will do her a world of good."

Remus followed the Healer's orders and helped his girlfriend down the corridor to the bathroom. After muttering the password ("Cinnamon spice") he led her past the row of cubicles to the swimming pool-sized bathtub.

Dozens of jewelled taps lined the walls around the tub. Remus tried several of them before finding the one Madam Pomfrey had suggested. Mixing it with a steady froth of hot water, the tub began to fill quickly, despite its large size. He tried a few of the others as well and decided to add a flow of thick, pink bubbles that stretched across the surface of the water like swirling candy floss.

As Remus watched the tub fill, he began to wonder what would happen next. It was a bath after all....would Branwen be stripping down? Should he stay? Would she want him to stay? He was answered when he turned around.

In a trail leading to the edge of the tub was Branwen's nightshirt, her pyjama trousers, and her panties. Over the noise of the gushing water, she had slipped quietly into the water. Above the bubbles, only her bare shoulders, neck, and face were visible. Remus' heart started to beat faster as she gazed up at him through the wet, silky curtains of her raven hair. "Well?"

"Well?" Remus swallowed hard, repeating her question.

"Aren't you coming in?"

Remus' breath hitched in his throat. He started to undo the buttons on his shirt, trying to not seem too eager. His shirt, shoes and socks came off and his fingers were hovering above the button of his trousers when he paused. "Are you sure?"

Branwen nodded.

It was the only encouragement he needed. His trousers were gone and he was lowering himself into hot water beside her.

A small ledge had been built into the tub so that prefects could sit as they bathed, rather than continuously tread water. Remus had barely settled on to the ledge before Branwen was curling into his lap.

She crooked a hand around his neck, pressed her chest against his, and draped her legs across his thighs. He wrapped his arms around her body, squeezing her tightly to himself. He realised in a matter of seconds that this was not an erotic invitation. It was emotional intimacy she was after. His calloused thumb rubbed small, soothing circles along her back. Soon, he could feel her shoulders rise and fall with quiet sobs.

"I thought this year was going to be so much fun." Branwen finally began to speak. "But it was just too much. Quidditch and homework and prefect duties and Healing....

"I didn't mean to keep taking it. It was just, one morning – I was so tired after doing my rounds. The potion let me finally stay awake through my classes. Then I took it again the next day; before I knew I was taking it three or four times a day. I just – I just felt like I couldn't do anything without it."

Remus was quiet for a moment, then softly chuckled. "Well, you certainly did accomplish quite a bit with it."

"What do you mean?" She leaned back, studying him with furrowed brows.

"Do you remember anything about Padfoot's birthday?"

Her eyes closed. "I remember music. Firewhisky. A motorbike. Not much else."

"Well," he shifted her weight on his lap, fingertips just grazing her arse cheeks. "You danced with almost every man in the pub. And when I tried to intervene, you told me, let's see, what were your exact words....'don't you think I want to look at someone else's face once in a while?'"

"I didn't!" She gasped, her eyes flying wide open.

"I'm afraid so."

"Oh Remus. How could you possibly forgive me after something like that?"

He kissed the top of her wet head. "Well, you certainly gave me a very good reason to forgive you. Remember this?" He leaned down, grasping her lips to his own.

When they pulled away, she sighed. "I wish I did remember."

"I'm sure there will plenty more to remember in the future." Remus brushed his lips along her hairline, placing gentle kisses against her temple and behind her ear.

Branwen craned her neck to lean into his caress and study his face. His rugged, scarred features were glistening with condensation from the warm water. His hooded eyes were soft, as was his touch on her body. Despite the fact that she was naked, his hands remained at respectful positions on her back and hips. She gently grasped his chin between her fingers, bringing his gaze back on to her. "Why aren't you angry?" she asked. "After what I did – how can you be so forgiving? Why do you trust me so much....why do you love me so much?"

He was dumbstruck. "I – I don't know what to say. I mean, I'm the one who should be asking you those questions. I'm insecure, pretentious, grumpy. And of course...." he pointed at one of the long, jagged scars crossing his face.

"But you – there are far, far too many reasons I love you to list them now. We could sit in this tub until our wrinkles have wrinkles and I still wouldn't be done. You are brave and kind and clever and the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. And, my love, you are so, so strong. But even the strongest woman in the world needs help sometimes." He hesitated. "Why didn't you ask for help?"

"I didn't want to seem weak. You and everyone else saw me as strong. I wanted you to see me as strong. I didn't want to admit that I couldn't handle something as simple as a busy schedule."

Warm drops fell on Branwen's shoulder. Remus was....crying?

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I never wanted you to feel like you had to feign anything with me. I want you to be able to come to me with anything, no matter what. Please, please forgive me."

Branwen paused. Then she giggled.

Remus glanced down at her, blinking back a few remaining tears. "Are you – are you laughing at me?"

"Of course not at you."She answered with a snuggle and soft kiss to his collarbone. "It's just, well, look at us. Each apologising to the other, over and over – this could go on forever. Maybe we should call it even?"

"All right." He chuckled and gave her a tight squeeze. "Now – down to business.

"Madam Pomfrey and I talked while you were out, and we decided on some things that should help. For the rest of the term, James, Sirius, Peter, and I will be helping you with your workload. I'm sure we can get Lily to help with prefect duties too. Then, you are going to come home with me for Christmas. You're going to rest and think about what you'd like to do. Because you're going to need to make some choices so that this doesn't happen again."

Normally, Branwen would have argued, told him that he didn't own her and she could make her own decisions. But she knew he was right. She needed to sort out her priorities. And how could she say no to a holiday with her boyfriend?

They remained quietly together for a long time after. Remus could feel her relaxing against him, melting into his skin and into the water. It was the most intimate, yet innocent moment they had ever shared. Despite their nakedness, the proximity of their bodies, and the warmth surrounding them, they expected nothing from each other. In fact, there seemed to be no "other" any more. They were one soul, unfettered by anatomy or intention. The moment seemed to go on forever, and they both would have been happy for it to do so.

Finally, as Remus began to feel her breathing slow and deepen, he kissed her cheek. "Are you awake, cyw bach?"

"Hm?" She stirred slightly, the water barely rippling around her shoulders as she rubbed her soft cheek against his firm chest. "What did you call me?"

He smiled, blushing slightly. "Cyw bach. It means 'little chick.'"

She sighed. "I like that. I like being your little chick. But," she poked his chest, "that means you're my puppy."

Remus groaned, putting up a manly protest to the sappy nickname, though secretly he was pleased to be her puppy. He would be pleased to be her anything. Covering his embarrassment, he cleared his throat. "I think maybe we should head back to the dorm. It's late, and you need some proper rest."

"You're probably right." She yawned and started to stretch. But as she lifted her arms above her head, she realised that her breasts were nearing the water's edge. She quickly dropped her arms and wrapped them around her torso. "Um, will you not look when I get out, please?"

"What? Oh, oh....yeah." A flush of heat swam through his body and he shifted slightly, then closed his eyes.

"No peeking." Branwen peered at him, waving her hand in front of his face to make sure he couldn't see.

"No peeking. I promise." Remus swallowed hard and tried to think of anything but the sound of water rippling around him, rivulets of water flowing down the soft curves and swells of his girlfriend's body. He heard her bare feet shuffle along the warm tile floor, then the soft rustling of clothes settling around her body. "Can I look now?"

"Yes."

"Are you going to close your eyes when I get out?"

"Of course."

Remus wasn't quite sure why, but he felt a pang of disappointment in his chest. He hurried from the water. With his eyes now open, he could see Branwen standing with her back to him. She was wearing one of his jumpers, a soft garment that draped to her knees where her stockings began. Remus had put warming charms on all of the clothes before bringing them down, guaranteeing that his girlfriend would stay warm through the trek back through the cold castle.

When he had pulled on his own pyjamas, he moved behind Branwen, slipping his arms around her waist to pull her against his chest, nuzzling his nose into her damp hair. "I love you, Branwen Potter."

She turned to face him, placing one hand on his shoulder and one around his neck, gently angling forward for a kiss. They held each other, neither moving into the kiss, just resting their lips against each other. "I love you too, Remus Lupin."

Finally, they pulled away and walked hand-in-hand back to the dorm room. Parting the curtains, Remus let Branwen crawl into his bed before joining her, the two of them clinging to one another as they drifted to sleep.

I was so excited to finally write this chapter. I'm such a sucker for soft moments like this. And don't worry, there will be some more "steamy" scenes ahead 😉