34. Leap

Liam

It had been a few weeks since we had taken that trip and my head was spinning.

Every time that I thought about Rena, I felt like smiling. That couldn't be normal, but I also liked it. I thought about way her eyes would squint a little when she would smile, when she'd shake her head at something I'd say or...

This is what would happen every time.

I couldn't think straight when it came to Rena and I didn't know what to do.

It's also why I drove from my place to my parents, to look for something that Rena wanted, because I couldn't help myself it seemed.

I had to head into work tomorrow, despite it being a Saturday, and I couldn't take Bea with me or leave her alone, so I asked Rena. She was someone I trusted and it was only for a day.

She seemed excited to do it and began to tell me she would plan a whole fun day, for some reason the day included a projector and I just had to get it for her.

I knew I had one when I was younger, but it was at my parents house. So whilst Bea was at a playdate for a few hours, I drove up to my parents' house to find it.

Pulling up onto the driveway, I knocked on the door and took a breath, knowing exactly what would happen once this door opened.

"My baby!" Mum yelled as soon as she opened the door, pulling me into a tight hug.

I patted her back in return, as I felt my bones being crushed whilst in this hug.

"Mum, please," I winced.

"Yes, honey. Please, stop," I heard my Dad say, walking up to us.

Mum let go of me, then promptly elbowed him in the ribs, causing him to wince now.

Yeah, this went just as I expected.

"You came all the way over here for a projector?" Mum asked.

"I'm working later and Rena agreed to babysit for me, she wanted the projector for some reason," I told her.

Mum nodded slowly, with this weird smile on her face. "And you didn't ask why?"

I shrugged. "No."

Again, she smiled and nodded. I feel like I should question it.

"Why didn't you just bring Bea to stay over here?" Mum asked.

"It's only one night," I said.

"We'd like to spend time with here too," Dad mentioned and I smiled.

"I'll bring her over soon for more than just a night," I told him.

It was quite sweet how much they doted over Bea and how much she loved her grandparents.

"Okay, well, the projector must be somewhere in the attic," Mum began to say. "If you really want it then-"

Before she could even finish, I was running up the stairs. "Thank you. I'll go check," I shouted behind me.

***

I knew it had to be here, since Mum kept everything of mine from before, no matter how much Dad or I insisted that she throw some things out.

I'm pretty sure she still had a photo frame I made out of dry pasta.

"Find it yet?"

"Ow," I smacked my head on the ceiling hearing my Mum's sudden entry.