Flight

Book 4

Chapter 23

Flight

It had been months since Sirius' flight from Hogwarts and the dementors. The journey to the undisclosed location that he was now in had been grueling, but it was worth it. He still lived in fear of being caught, that was a feeling that he believed would forever stay with him, even if his name was cleared. 

As of now, Sirius was hunched over a makeshift desk he'd fashioned himself in the abandoned old building he'd found a good 2 miles away from the beach. It consisted of 2 rotting planks of wood supporting a larger slab that made up the main part of the desk. While it wasn't too sturdy, it did its purpose quite well. 

He'd nicked a few quills, ink bottles, and of course, parchment from the little old-fashioned book shop in the small town nearby. He'd left a galleon he'd found previously on the counter in compensation, though he wasn't sure the shop owner, which to his understanding was a muggle woman, would know what it was. 

Now to why Sirius Black needed all of these things. He'd been attempting to stay in touch with his godson for the past months. He'd only sent about 2 letters since the beginning of the summer, worrying that the presence of tropical birds flying to one house in London pretty often would raise a considerable amount of eyebrows, and of course, suspicion. 

He'd recently got a letter from Harry, which at first had amused him, and just as quickly worried him to the point where he'd decided to do something extremely dangerous. The letter had explained that Harry's relatives, the Dursleys, had been bearable, though Sirius still wished he could make Harry's living situation better than what it was now. He knew what those people were like.

He'd gotten some satisfaction out of knowing that the mere idea of him being a wanted fugitive and also Harry's godfather had made the Dursleys considerably less foul towards him though. It wasn't much, but it was a start. 

But the last part of the letter had been serious, and thus important as well. Harry had said his scar had pained him in the morning. He'd also explained that the last time that occurred was when Voldemort was in Hogwarts. He'd asked Sirius whether or not Voldemort was near him, and if curse scars such as the one he had could hurt years after being given. 

That had worried him. He'd heard rumors, mainly from Dumbledore in their last encounter, that perhaps the scar didn't just hurt Harry when Voldemort was near. It could also do so if the Dark Lord was coming back to power. If this was true, then Harry was in grave danger. He couldn't let anything happen to him, he had vowed after escaping Azkaban to protect his godson at all costs, and never abandon him as he'd done for those 12 years of his life. 

He'd heard rumors of Mad-Eye Moody being recruited into the Hogwarts staff. And while Sirius knew Dumbledore trusted Moody, though that wasn't saying much as the man trusted everyone, he also knew that he wouldn't hire the ex-Auror unless it was absolutely necessary. Meaning that Dumbledore's suspicions might actually be valid. 

Which led to Sirius sitting at his desk, stroking the pearly white feathers of Hedwig, Harry's owl. He'd already given her a bit of food, and she was now taking a drink of water, looking up at him almost affectionately. Amazing creatures, owls. Sirius had just dipped the quill in the bottle, preparing to write a response, when he was pecked sharply on the shoulder by another bird. 

It was a bright blue parrot, whom he'd taken to calling "Blue" affectionately. Yes, yes, it was a very creative and well-thought-out name. He sighed and gave the bird a strawberry, one of the many in the clay bowl he had next to him, in case he needed a snack while writing. He'd plucked them from the bush that was conveniently stationed a few yards away from the building in some dense greenery.

He popped a fruit into his mouth and began to write, the quill scratching on the parchment. 

'Harry - 

I'm flying north immediately. This news about your scar is the latest in a series of strange rumors that have reached me here. If it hurts again, go straight to Dumbledore - they're saying he's got Mad-Eye out of retirement, which means he's reading the signs, even if no one else is.

I'll be in touch soon. My best to Ron and Hermione. Keep your eyes open, Harry.

Sirius'

Sirius paused, scanning the letter, making sure that it was worth sending Hedwig back. The key to sending letters to others when in his situation was to keep them brief, but also as informative as possible, given that he wasn't sure when he could next afford to send one. It would have to do. He rolled it up and sealed it shut with his wand.

He'd waited to write the letter, pondering what to say, to not only make sure he said the right thing but also give Hedwig some time to rest. Now he called her a little closer, and carefully tied the parchment to her leg. With one last treat, he carried her to the small window and let her fly out, hoping that Harry would receive it. 

And now it was time to make do on his word. He ran to the other room, where Buckbeak the hippogriff was laying on the carpeted, and yet very dirty floor. He didn't seem to mind though, given that the rats apparently enjoyed it. Buckbeak just stood up and before Sirius knew it he'd managed to get himself dinner. 

Sirius stared at the hippogriff, and without breaking eye contact, he slowly bowed. Buckbeak stood up, and Sirius prepared to bolt for it, as the hippogriff wasn't always in the best mood. But he needn't have worried. Buckbeak elegantly bowed back, and Sirius stepped forward to pat his beak. "Would you like to go back to London Buckbeak?" He whispered in the beast's ear.

He pulled back and looked at the creature's eyes. He would have to hope that meant yes. Sirius bowed one last time, and then ran out, picking up random belongings from around the house. Given that he was a wanted fugitive, he didn't have much, but he had essentials that he would need on the journey he was about to take again.

Food mainly, he'd managed to snag a cloak and an extra set of clothes, his wand, the writing supplies he'd gotten, in case he needed to tell Harry something on the go. Some may have said Sirius was overreacting, that surely Harry's scar hurting wasn't a big deal. But when it came to his godson, Sirius Black didn't take any chances.

The next thing he knew, he'd walked Buckbeak outside, and climbed astride the creature's back. He told him where he needed to go as he'd done those few months previous, and Buckbeak was off, galloping and at last taking off into the air. 

He was back.