Chapter 23

Moving on

Moving on

I'VE NEVER HURT SO BAD.

The ride home was quiet and the night restless, I tossed and turned in my bed thinking about her. 

The logical thing to do was to let her go, she couldn't be trusted. She was the enemy's daughter. I had no idea where she went after the gala...her clothes were still in her closet. Her room still smelled like her. 

My cheek still burned but I didn't care, I fucking deserved it. I was dumb enough to believe something was actually going to come out of that.

I'm a man that cannot be loved or love at all. I kill people for godsake. That's why Amelia left. She couldn't support what I did. I was a fool to think it wouldn't be the same with Ellowyn. 

All Lina gave me was glares and little scoffs whenever she looked at me, blamed me for revoking her baby of a godmother.

So I sat in my office my head pounding as I remembered her words.   

Fuck you, Roman Vaughn

Fuck did that one hurt, I took a large sip out of the whiskey on my desk. 

I promised you that you'd never lose me...now you are...And it's not my fault

The bottle smashes against the white wall the brown liquid dripping down it. 

This was all 5 days ago. I sent her the last check yesterday. But I may have added a few dollars making it 35 thousand dollars. 

The check was mailed back to me...in pieces. A tiny note inside the envelope with no return address. 

It laid on my desk, I stared at it before lighting one of my cigarettes

I blew out the smoke and relaxed a bit, sighing. I grabbed the letter pulling it close to the cigarette so the corner would be set alight. I watched it. 

A knock on the door disturbed my peace as I watched it, "Come in!" I yelled and Alexandro came in sighing at the alcohol spilled on the wall.

"At least we don't have to be worried that you'll be getting drunk" Alex picked up the letter blowing on it taking a moment to read it.