|| FIFTY-TWO ||

Lauryn's hand trembled as she lowered the deadly little device into its new home, closing it into a small box locked with a key. A gun was the last thing she ever imagined herself owning, but if it meant protecting her family, she didn't care anymore.

She slid it under her side of the bed quietly, checking to make sure Sweet Pea wasn't able to see from where he was in the kitchen.

Pulling herself up with all the strength she could usher, she brushed the dust off of her jeans. She then made her way out of the bedroom, acting as though she hadn't just smuggled a Glock 19 into the trailer.

"Hospital bag ready?" Sweet Pea asked her, and she nodded, swallowing her guilt.

"Yeah," she replied, accidentally letting a slip of uneasiness slip through. "Everything's, uh, in there."

Sweet Pea stopped what he was doing, resting his hands on the sides of her neck beneath her long hair. "It's okay to be nervous, Angel Face."

"I don't even know what's bothering me the most," she confessed, chuckling lightly. "Things aren't going to go smoothly anytime soon, are they?"

"Maybe not," Sweet Pea said regretfully. "And the timing couldn't be any worse, but that doesn't mean we're just gonna step down and let the Ghoulies do whatever the hell they want. They're not hurtin' you again, Lauryn. I promise you."

"I trust you," she told him, half-smiling slightly. "I feel safe here."

"I don't think you get it," he continued, his eyes meeting with hers as he looked into her eyes. "I'd die for you."

There was a silence as Lauryn felt her heart melt into her chest, and looking at him removed all troubles from the world.

Sweet Pea held his breath for a second, his eyes not leaving her face for even a second. In that moment, nothing else existed. Nothing mattered. It was the two of them, and he had never felt his heart beat so fast, especially for another person. It was her.

"Marry me, Lauryn."

She felt a shock of electricity pulsate through her entire body, and she almost had to do a double-take. "W-What?"

"Hell, what have we got to lose?" he asked her, taking her hands. "I've been sure about you since we were kids. Look, I know it's crazy but—"

"Yes," she cut him off, nodding. "Yes!"

He chuckled, struggling to read her. "Yes, as in, it's crazy or...?"

"No!" she laughed, kissing him. "Yes, as in, I'll marry you, you idiot!"

"Wait, wait, wait," he halted, reaching for an apple that was sat on the kitchen counter. He peeled off the sticker, sticking the two ends together. "Just a second."

"What are you doing?" she asked, giggling. He took her hand, drawing it onto her ring finger as if it was an actual ring. "An apple sticker? Really?"

Sweet Pea laughed. "Yeah, well, I know it's cheesy, but I ain't made of money, and I'm not gonna lie, proposing to you right now wasn't how I expected today to go. I guess it's... more of a promise, that we got each other."

"This is..." Lauryn trailed off, knowing she would trip over her words no matter what she tried to say. "This is insane. I can't believe this is happening. When and where would we even--"

"As soon as Senior year ends," he decided with every iota of certainty inside of him. "If we mean anything, it'll happen. Just over two years from now."

"I don't even know what to say," Lauryn trembled, tears welling up in her eyes before she could stop them. "I love you so much."

"I love you, too," he said, kissing her softly on the lips. He held her cheek with one hand, setting the other on her stomach. "We got this. The next eighteen years? They're gonna fly past us."