Everlasting

2017

Winnie was roaming around a nearby park for a place for Jesse and her to stay when suddenly Jesse came up to her.

"Nice dress," Winnie stated when she saw Jesse run up to her in a sunflower summer dress, somehow Jesse was able to find way better clothes than her even though she had only been gender-fluid for a few years.

"Thanks, but listen I had a crazy idea-" She started, but was quickly interrupted by Winnie.

"You mean like that time you tripped on the stairs of the Eiffel Tower and rolled your way back down?"

"I wait- how do you remember that? That was like 20 years ago." 

"I'm messing with you Jesse," Winnie said and started giggling.

"Anyways," Jesse continued while rolling her eyes, "as I was saying I was thinking of eating a tide pod in front of a camera."

Winnie took a second and rubbed her temples. "Why would you do that? Those are for cleaning clothes Jesse."

"I think it would be funny, wanna do it with me?" She replied.

Winnie pretended to think like she always did. "Mom says no." She said as a smile spread on her lips.

"Sick, I'll grab two of them then. This will be an internet sensation." And she ran off into the distance with Winnie trailing right behind.

*

2019

Winnie and Jesse walked out of the movie theater showing The Rise of Skywalker laughing their asses off.

"You know," Jesse started, "It was good and all but not as good as seeing the original one."

"It wasn't as good as seeing the first movie ever," Winnie replied, clenching her stomach as she laughed. Winnie sat down as her giggles subsided and looked over to Jesse with an expectant look.

"Let's sneak into the other theaters and scare the mortals in them," Jesse said teasingly as he threw his popcorn away and tightened his satchel.

"I'll race you into the next one," Winnie said and started running to the nearest theatre, with Jesse close behind.

*

Sometime in the Future

Winnie took in a breath while looking at the stars above her. She and Jesse were lying on the grass in some remote plain wearing their 1800s clothes.

It felt nice to wear something so familiar, one that had a time attached to it, unlike the other things she and Jesse would steal and leave behind. 

She smiled as she rubbed the old fabric of Jesse's hat she had taken from him all that long ago.

"Winnie?" She heard Jesse say beside her at barely a whisper.

"What is it, Jesse?" She asked, still looking up at the night sky.

"Do you ever regret drinking the water?" He said, sounding afraid.

She hesitated for a second. Did she? Winnie had never really thought about with, with not a lot of time between their adventures. But now that she thought about it, she didn't. It was hard, don't get her wrong, but she was happy. Jesse was her everything and she relished in the fact she could spend every day, year, century with him.

"Not one bit." She ended up saying, turning to Jesse and grabbing his hand. He searched her eyes, looking for any sign of lying, but when he found none, he squeezed her hand.

"So 'partner'", He said, "What's next?"