3- flower shop

I work in a flower shop.

From snapdragons, lilies, and carnations, my mother's flower shop has almost every flower anyone can possibly think of. But somehow, roses are always the big seller.

Something about the rose is just so classical and romantic, you would think that nothing could go wrong with the choice of a red rose. However, I will never forget the young girl that came in asking for one singular red rose for Valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day is the one day a year that people go absolutely nuts with buying flowers. Other than holidays like Christmas and local funerals, our flower shop is not too busy on the regular day-to-day. It was nothing new to see a young girl or boy buying roses or chocolates for their 'Valentine' so I treated this particular order just like any other order. I gave the young girl her flower and she was on her way to surprise her date.

As me and my mother were closing the shop, we noticed that the same girl had come back into our shop. With tangled hair and mascara running down her face, I of course had to go and comfort her. I began to slowly ask her if I could help her with anything and if she was alright. She looked and acted like a mess, but I could tell that she tried to hold herself together as much as she could.

I still remember her exact words: "I hope it's not too much trouble, but I came to return the rose that you sold to me. There was nothing wrong, of course, it's beautiful. But, the guy I like doesn't like me the way I thought he did. I cant accept this rose if the guy I fell in love with cant even accept me."

It was at that moment that I grabbed the girl and hugged her as my heart shattered to pieces along with her.