Click

Ten. Blood pumping. Tears streaming. Five. Cold metal. Temple throbbing. Zero. Click.

The alarm buzzed before blasting out Jackson 5's 'I want you back.' Kate jumped out of bed wide awake and giddy. Gazing down at her wrist she stood mesmerized as she watched the seconds tick down. Four hours, thirty two minutes and thirteen seconds.

A Shrill ringing broke her from her daze and she bounced to the front door, not bothering to check through the peephole to see who was on the other side. Pulling the door open she grinned as she saw the postman standing there with her latest online spree.

"Morning!" she called out cheerily, gratefully accepting the parcels from his outstretched arms.

"Good morning Miss...Harlow." He said as she signed for them. "Have a lovely day!"

Kate grinned after him. You have no idea!

Nervous for the big day ahead and parcels now forgotten on the kitchen side, she hopped into the shower. With her beauty regime consisting of cleanser, moisturizer and a swipe of mascara she was ready within an hour.

Munching on a granola bar- as that was all her nerves would let her tolerate, she sighed, her mind drifting to the man- or woman (she wasn't fussed either way)- fate had chosen her to be with.

She hoped they would be sporty, but not too competitive. An intellectual would be nice, someone on her level. But so long as they could hold an interesting conversation that would be OK- and most importantly someone who wouldn't stop her seeing her friends, or want her to change something about herself. She would never be prepared to change for someone.

It was 10:30am and the countdown clock had less than 3 hours to go.

Her phone started ringing, Lucy's picture flashing on the screen. As soon as she answered the excited babble of her best friend filled her ear.

"How long!" she screeched.

"Just under 3 hours." Kate replied, grinning as Lucy's weirdness eased her nerves.

"You need to go out! Be around loads of people. Once you meet your soul mate I want details. You're still coming to training right? You aren't going to do a Martha on me?" Her words tumbled out in an overexcited mess.

"I'm going to head into the city, I've got a few errands to run and then I'll just wander around. Of course I'll give you details silly! I live for gossiping at training. Though I told Annie I won't be at Jujitsu this evening I'll be at kickboxing on Friday- Martha became the wife of an inner city banker, if fate does that to me then fate is cruel. I'm not a piece of arm candy whose only purpose in life is to pop out kids." Kate finished, the dream of her perfect soul mate now turning into a nightmare.

"Good." Lucy said "I have two years left on mine, so count yourself lucky!"

"Of course I'm lucky. I have you as a best friend!" She replied laughing.

"Whatev's sexy. It will all go great so don't worry that pretty little head. Talk later." Lucy blew a kiss before hanging up.

Fixing her hair in the mirror and grabbing her bag, phone and the light yellow silk scarf, she was in a happy mood as she headed into the city.

-2 hours 30 minutes.

"Katherine! Darling!" A shrill voice echoed through the marble foyer of the National Bank.

Kate groaned inwardly, quickly tying her scarf around her wrist so her new companion wouldn't see the impending countdown and make a fuss. Because Martha would definitely make a fuss.

A cloud of Chanel and peroxide reached her before her old friend. They had once been very close- before she found her soul mate. Kate didn't blame her for changing-it was just a shame that she felt she had to. In the month after she had met her banker her naturally brown hair had gone blonder and pizza night had been exchanged for a salad. Jujitsu had been exchanged for yoga and kickboxing for a nail bar.