in the lair

the weather in the path to one of the neverseen's many hideouts was frigid; the cold air was biting at tam's skin, the wind hitting him full in the face felt like a thousand needles pricking his face repeatedly and tam's thin cloak and tunic did nothing to help his case. but, of course, nothing could compare to the pain and hurt he imagined linh felt when she found out that he joined the neverseen, the enemy.

that was one word tam thought would never apply to him. for his whole life, he had known that what he was doing was right - the right thing for the right reasons. now? tam didn't feel so sure he was doing the right thing.

perhaps, he thought with a grim look, he was doing the wrong thing but for the right reasons.

"song!" gethen yelled, commanding tam's attention and bringing him to a halt right in front of a large metal trapdoor. he didn't bother correcting gethen on his name. the last time he did that, he suffered a melder blast and a severe beating. "go down there and question the prisoner. if she doesn't respond, i trust you will use the interrogation techniques i taught you, yes?"

tam nodded slowly, wondering who the prisoner would be this time. over the course of the four weeks he'd been with the neverseen, he'd torture- no, questioned five or six prisoners. the majority were the other intelligent species, although there were a few elves and humans in the mix. tam opened the trapdoor, revealing a ladder made out of braided ropes leading to a grimy cellar.

he climbed down the ladder slowly, the balefire pendant resting on his chest giving him light. the ground was cold and hard under tam's feet and when he stepped towards the cells gingerly, he swore he could of heard a voice.

"alvar?" tam said cautiously, the light from torches hanging on the dark grey walls allowing him to see. "what are you doing down he- oh."

there in the cell, was a very disheveled and annoyed-looking biana vacker. her arms were crossed over her chest in an attempt at being defiant. her heart-shaped lips formed the perfect pout as she glared at him through her teal eyes.

"what do you want?" she spat towards him, eyes blazing in fury. "isn't it enough that you took my brother again, you wretched neverseen lackey?!"

it occurred to tam that she didn't realize it was him. he didn't blame her - he was using a concoction that disguised his voice, and the hood of his dark black cloak covered both his face and his washed-out silver bangs.

"i said," biana's voice rose further, seemingly taking his silence personally, "what do you want with me?! answer me!"

tam sighed heavily, knowing he would have to break her spirit to get answers. it was asked of him and he would have to obey. there would be sure consequences for the both of them otherwise. "let us be," tam told alvar, easily letting the neverseen leer into his voice. "you'll get to see your dear sister once i'm done."

"done?" alvar's face paled. "you are not to tor- interrogate her?"

"i am, actually."

alvar opened his mouth to say something, his eyes narrowing, but biana beat him to it. "you will do no such thing!"