Chapter 18: An Idea

"I have a thought!" James shouted, leaping up from his place on the floor. 
"Careful," Remus mocked, "It's hard trying new things."
"Okay rude."
"It was meant to be."

Sirius rolled his eyes at the pair.
"What's your thought, Prongs?" he asked.
"Well, what's Ascella going to do when we all go to Hogwarts in September," James wondered, "I mean my parents are great but I'm sure you wouldn't want to hang out with them all year."

Ascella had thought about this, a lot. She had come up with a few alternatives, none of which she liked very much.
"How about you enroll at Hogwarts?" Dorcas offered.
"Oh no," Ascella said, shaking her head, "I couldn't."
"Why not?" Regulus asked.

"I wouldn't do very well," she explained, "I have done my OWLs but I didn't do very well. Andromeda has tried to teach me as best she could and I tried to bribe my tutors into teaching me something useful but I don't know anything I should."
"I thought your parents locked you away to teach you," Peter puzzled.
"Do you really think that they would teach me useful things?"

Nods and whispers of recognition and realisation bounced around the room. They all seemed to have entirely disregarded that idea, until Remus spoke up.
"You could still go," he shrugged, "Me and Lily are prefects and we're all pretty good students. Collectively we could help you."
Ascella shook her head. "I don't think-" 

"No," Sirius piped up, "I'm good at Astronomy, James is good at Transfiguration, Peter is good at Charms and Herbology, Mary is the best at care of magical creatures, Marlene has top marks in Divination, Lily hung out with Snivellus enough to be good at potions, Remus, well, he's good at everything and Reg has to be average at something."
"Oi!" Regulus shouted, "I beat you in History of Magic and I'm taking Advanced Defence against the Dark Arts. So fuck you."

Sirius rolled his eyes.
"My point is," he continued, "We can easily get you caught up this summer. You can use our old books as well so you don't have to buy new ones. Only problem is uniform."
"We have some," James began, to confused looks.

"What? Mum keeps some 'just in case'!"
"In case of what, Prongs," Peter asked, stifling a laugh.
"I don't know, never asked."

James was silent for a few seconds, before he realised what was funny. He jumped up, shaking his head frantically.
"Oh no! I'm a boy!"
"Sure you are, James," Mary laughed, "Sure you are."
"This conversation is over," James shouted, storming into the bathroom.