Spiderling? A threat???

One week until the academic decathlon competition:

Tony Stark was lounging in his chair and trying to pay attention to what the avengers were saying.

"He may not pose a threat right now, but he should still be brought in and questioned. We don't know what this spider-person's deal is, and that makes them dangerous," Steve was saying.

Oh yes, that was right. Spider man. The person jumping around Queens in spandex, calling himself a superhero. He really didn't get why they were even discussing him - the guy was totally harmless, according to the research he did. Granted, Tony was lazy and hadn't bothered looking too much into it, but from the few videos he'd seen...

"You all are fooling yourselves if you think that this spiderling is worth our attention. There are bigger, more important problems that we should be focusing on! Like why we are meeting at this unholy hour before I've even had a coffee." Tony sighed, checking his watch for the fiftieth time. 6:15. Ugh.

Rogers clasped his hands in front of him and stared down his nose at Tony. "I've already explained it, if you had bothered to listen. This spider-man has popped up on our radar multiple times, and I think it would be wise to talk to him. Find out why he's helping people. What he's trying to gain."

Stark scoffed. "Why does he need to be doing this to gain something? It couldn't just be because he wants to help people?"

"How many people do you know that help people solely for the reason of wanting to help?"

"Fair point."

"He's right, Tony," Natasha spoke up. "We wouldn't hurt him, just have a nice chat. We'll only go on the offense if the situation calls for it."

"Well, fine. But how do we bring him in? Or should we ambush him when he's on one of his patrols. He seems to only come out at night, and stays within the limits of Queens. It wouldn't take much to trace an outline of his routine and corner him somewhere," said Tony.

"We wouldn't be 'ambushing' or 'cornering' him!" Steve objected, putting air quotes around the two words. "We'd simply be asking him what his deal is and if he plans on taking over the world in the foreseeable future."

"But what Stark said, about tracking his movements and finding a place to talk, is actually a good idea," mused Wilson.

Tony recoiled at the hint of surprise in Sam's voice. "Of course it's a good idea, did you forget who you're talking to?"

Sam rolled his eyes and opened his mouth to reply, but Steve stopped him, holding up his hands in a placating gesture. "Tony, if you can indeed do that, then we have our plan. I think two people -three at most - should go to meet Spider Man. If we all went, we'd intimidate him and probably scare him away. So Tony is one, who else?"

"I'll go," Natasha said, "if things get out of hand, I can overpower this 'hero' and we can bring him back here."

Steve nodded. "That should be fine then. So, Stark and Romanoff, this is your new mission. Try to figure out all you can about this person. If something happens, alert us immediately."

Tony yawned. "Are we done, because I have a date with breakfast waiting for me." He didn't wait to hear Steve's reply before getting up and stumbling clumsily out of the room. He'd need to start analyzing Spiderling's routine. But first: coffee.

                           **************

Peter's pov:

It was the day of the competition. Peter had his backpack in hand, shoes on, ready to leave. There was only one problem...

"NO! You won't be going! Haven't you even thought about what other people are feeling? Nothing is about you, you selfish asshole! If you really wanted to make people happy, you would've died with your parents! Or with Ben! But no, you were too stubborn! You just stuck around, leeching away my money and resources, and now you want to do that to Stark too? The man doesn't have time to talk to you about your petty, insignificant problems! He certainly doesn't have time to judge a stupid high school competition!" Aunt May was standing between him and the door, hands on her hips, face turning red from anger.

Peter couldn't help but agree with her, just a little bit. Why would Tony Stark want to spend his day with a bunch of angsty teenagers, when he could be creating new technology for his suits, or just sleeping?

But... no. Peter straightened his shoulders, head held high, and locked his gaze on the door. Mr. Stark had said he wanted him there. If anything, the team needed him. And he wouldn't let Aunt May stop him when he was five steps away from freedom.

"Aunt May, please-"

"Shut the hell up and go back to your room. Don't come out again until I tell you that you can." Her belligerent tone made it clear she wouldn't budge.

Peter sighed and deflated slightly, trudging back to his room. He closed the door and sat on his bed. Of course, he wasn't going to let May stop him from going. Not that easily. But he'd need to think of a way...

Tony's pov:

Stark was standing by one of the many windows in his building, people-watching. Everything looked small from where he was. Like the people were ants, scrambling around, always in a hurry. Ants were so fragile, their tiny frames easily squash-able under foot. He was one of the ants, cloaked in armor, burdened with the job of protecting their home. But he was just as frail. Why should he be up in this tower, when people down there were working twelve times as hard?

A flash of red caught his eye. He shook himself out of his stupor and focused on the dot moving towards him. As it grew bigger, he made out the outline of a person. Oh... it was... oh... he needed to call Natasha. Tony quickly pulled out his phone and dialed her number, his heart racing as he waited for her to pick up. They had a chance to corner Spider man, and he wouldn't let them miss it.

So now spider man is a bit more involved in the story. And I will be adding in more texty texty stuff, after all, this is a wrong number fanfic. Adieu for now.

"These are not the droids you're looking for.''