I wake up groaning, smelling dry blood, my dry blood, to be precise. I open my eyes and glance around to find that there is no one around and that I am in my and Val's room. Last night's events had come back to me, and I shuddered at the savagery I had taken part in, I being at the receiving end. When I tried to get out of bed, my muscles and bones ached. Valentina entered the room as I heard the door open, carrying bandages and lotions to aid with the healing process. Normal wolves would heal in an hour or two, but an omega wolf would heal more slowly, akin to a human.

She rushed over, "Lucas! Stay in bed you need as much rest as you can get."

Her voice was forceful and assertive, leaving no room for ifs and buts. I rolled back over, my head resting on the improvised headboard. She handed me a cup of water and some medication, which I eagerly accepted, swallowing the pills and the water in one fast gulp. As the cool water flowed down to my stomach, it soothed my throat. My body hurt, but my medicine and werewolf healing had kept the agony to a minimum.

"Val, we need to clean up and cook for the pa..." She cut my off with a sharp glare that chilled me to the core.

"Lucas, I have dealt with everything by myself while you were passed out, "She looked at me with pity but I ignored it realising how tired she looked from overworking, guilt ate at me seeing how she looked, "I have done everything so you don't have to worry your pretty little head."

Valentina was my sole friend, but she also served as my sister and mother, so I knew I could trust her with my life. She would do everything and stand up for me, even if it meant risking her life. What was strange was that she was never hurt, as if she had power over people of greater social status than her, but I didn't care since I loved her because she was the only family, I could call my own. I looked out the window, realising that I had been gone all day and that it was late at night, so my comment about cooking food for the pack was unnecessary. I felt a feeling of exhaustion wash over me, and I cuddled further into the bed. When I looked over to see Val putting some things away, darkness engulfed me once more.

Val jolted me up with a shake, noting that it was 4 a.m. and that we needed to get ready. I knew she didn't want to wake me up, but she wasn't capable of doing it again with such little energy and sleep. We hurriedly changed into our discoloured clothes and began preparing the dinner. We follow in the footsteps of countless others and put things up as normal. The alpha then made an announcement.

"To my fellow pack members and omegas, "His was held disgust saying 'omegas' as if we weren't part of the pack, "I would like to announce that tonight is the New Moon Bonfire. Tonight, we shall celebrate in joy and remember the great goddess of the moon and how she gifted us the life we have. The party shall commence at 7pm and food with be prepped and ready for all who wishes to eat and drink. As you know we do this every year and as tradition we shift into our wolves at midnight to bask in our moons glow. I hope everyone is excited for later on today and enjoy your day."

Everyone applauded and clapped before returning to their conversations or eating, eventually leaving their dishes. We began to remove everything when we heard footsteps approaching from the hall. It smelled like beta, and I signed feeling less afraid. The beta would never intentionally injure me, but he would never stand up for me, so I was probably safer in his company than in the presence of anybody else in the pack, especially the alpha. He observed us cleaning up everything as he rounded the corner into the kitchen.

"Omegas," he said with his rough voice, "the alpha has assigned you both to make the feast for tonight. He has said that you will not be allowed to join this year again. He has said that if you try to come and join, he will find and give you your punishment."

Once we nodded our head, he rushed off to his job probably to finish some work he was assigned to.

Valentina walked over to me whispering, "Lucas, I know this is probably a crazy idea but because of the bonfire tonight everyone will be busy. This means we could actually get out of here. Warriors are not guarding the northern area tonight because everyone will with be on the opposite side of the pack meaning they will be more careful near there. This could be our only chance to run. Think about is Lucas. We can be free from this. YOU can be free."

I considered it. It would be wonderful to be free of pain for the rest of my life. To never cook or clean for anyone, and to finally feel comfortable enough to stroll about with a pack. I knew what I wanted and didn't give a damn about what may happen in the future.

"Let's do it. We have to get out of here. I would rather be in the cold woods than in this pack any longer than I have to be."

We both looked at each other and nodded.

Now all we needed was a plan, my thoughts were right. A plan is what we needed, and a plan is what we will have.

Goodbye hell, hello heaven.