Chapter 1

Elizabeth gazed at the screen with an intense glare. She was a rocket scientist, yet she hadn't once passed her drivers test. She sighed as she was going over all her answers, double checking. Hesitantly she pressed the submit button. This was the last attempt she could have this month, which put so much pressure on her considering that this was the last step till she could become an astronaut. The loading symbol popped up on the screen only increasing her blood pressure as she waiting. I am about to go to space and see amazing things on other worlds, yet I can't pass something that other people my age could easily. she thought bitterly. With a ding, the loading screen disappeared and a plastic card came out of the frame that went around the plasma screen.

"Yes!" Elizabeth almost screamed. She then noticed how many people had turned towards her. Straightening her jacket, she held her head high and walked out of the DMV. As Elizabeth whistled for a cab, she looked at her card.

ELIZABETH B. NONTAL DOB: 09/27/83

SEX:F HAIR:BLK EXPIRES: 05/14/09

HT:5'-09 WT:131

EYES:GRN

Elizabeth snorted at the bad resolution of the picture. Its 2099 not 2009 these pictures should be way better. As the cab slid to a stop in front she couldn't help but gaze over the car. In multiple places there were dents, one dent was in an unstable area. Another hit to that spot and the car would collapse. Hesitantly she got in and told that cab's driver to take her to the NASA headquarters.

"One of your parents work there, sweetheart?" the driver asked her as he slammed down on the gas pedal causing the entire car to rock around.

"No I work there. Which also means that this is a free ride." She responded. Of course the second part wasnt that important. Her family was so rich she could for pay a cab that still used gasoline, to travel around the world.

"Sure sweetheart." the driver chuckled, "My daughter does too she works in astronomy. You to should become friends." The driver doubled over laughing which worried Elizabeth. Hover car technology has become very advanced when it came to avoiding accidents over the past few years. But she heard horrible stories and she proved that it could be possible (what could be better to present in front of her college class?). Elizabeth pulled out her wallet and showed the man her NASA ID as they pulled up to the entrance. His jaw dropped as she got out of the car and walked in.

As Elizabeth walked down the halls, many people looked at her with disapproval. Considering she was going to be doing the things that they wanted to do and while she was 16 neverless, she understood why they didn't like her. As she walked into a different sector of the HQ more gentle smiles greeted her though most were still scowls. She opened the door to the control room and found X-13 there to greet her.

"Hello Elizabeth I hope you have had a nice day. It is good to see you have finally completed all the requirements." my robot greeted in a monotone.

"Hello X-13. Yes, I am very excited. Do you know where Sarah and Adam are?" She replied. My robot contemplated my response of a few seconds.

"My sensor's say they are in the break room waiting for you while intaking large amounts of caffeine." She flinched of at the idea of Adam drinking multiple cups of coffee. He was already super hyper normally even though he was 23.

"Ok. Good Bye X-13" Elizabeth walked down the corridor to the break room to find that indeed Adam and Sarah were drinking coffee. Adam sat on the counter casually talking to Sarah. One cup was off to the side which Elizabeth quickly found that it was her own.

"No, that would not be a good strategy.Trapping the king with your pawns would really show off your skill. But it would be much more of a challenge." Adam and Sarah were too busy to notice Elizabeth.

"Why would you need to do that? Just use a good technique and if you were intellegent, your opponent should already be able to recognize it." Elizabeth answered.

"Not all of us are a 16 year old Prodigy." Sarah said coldly. Elizabeth's eyes narrowed as she looked at them. Quickly she grabbed her cup and walked out of the room. As she walked out of the room she could feel their glares on the back of her head. To bad that they will be ruining my experience in space. Last thing I want is to launch out of the atmosphere in a confined space with them. Elizabeth thought bitterly as she walked back to the control room.

She entered to find X-13 waiting for her.

"Its time for todays training. Are you ready?" The robot asked her, devoid of any emotion. Elizabeth sighed and nodded. X-13.16 started to levitate down the hall to the training room at a quick pace. Elizabeth had to jog to keep up. Luckily the people parted to make way for them. The practice room was on the other side of the building. She was out of breath by the time that they got there and entered.

4 hours later Elizabeth came out exhausted. There was only 4 months, 15 days, 6 hours, 7 minutes and 8 seconds until lift off. They kept timers everywhere reminding her that soon she would be leaving the planet soon. After being in a completely digital simulation, her eyes hurt. After stumbling a few steps she leaned against a wall to rest her eyes. Without realising she drifted off to sleep.

Elizabeth woke up with X-13 bumping her repeatedly, trying to follow her. Rubbing her eyes while getting up she asked her robot, "How long was I out?"

"Just 3 hours Elizabeth B. Nontal." X-13 responded.

"Wow I must had have been exhausted. Well I must take my leave. See you tomorrow." With that, Elizabeth turned on her heel and started making her way towards the door. She stopped when she passed the break room where voices could be heard.

"I CAN'T STAND HER!" Some one yelled. A loud shh could be heard from inside.

"Yes but you need to grow up. You are 25." a new voice said. They had a deep voice, deeper than Adams. "Its not like you are going to a different galaxy with her."

"Look I will be there so don't worry. How about you let her take her robot with her so she doesn't he people who are actually working." Adam responded. Ouch, that hurt. But whatever I can just conduct my own research myself then. Elizabeth thought angrily. Before another word could be muttered, she stormed away.

She slammed open the doors and walked briskly across the parking lot to the dorm room they had installed for her. When a child prodigy loses her house people don't tend to watch them move from orphanage to orphanage. Ever Since her parents were killed in a lab accident she had been trying to get onto an exploration mission. There was no people on Earth that she would be leaving behind.

Quietly she entered her small dorm. The light turned on as soon as she walked in. She passes through the entryway and into the kitchen. Elizabeth grabbed her mobile phone and started to play her music at the loudest volume. She slid her phone into her back pocket and walked out of the kitchen into her bedroom. Elizabeth face planted into her bed. One of the advantages of the dorm was the fact that she had a king sized bed to herself. But that wasn't the best part. Elizabeth clapped her hands together twice and the lights when out.

As her eyes adjusted to the darkness she reached over to her wooden dresser and grabbed a remote off of it. She held the up button down for a few seconds. Soon there was a series of loud clicking noises. The roof above her started to open letting the cold spring air in and the light of thousands of stars. Sighing she turned her music off and slid into bed. Elizabeth studied the constellations until she slowly fell asleep.