CHAPTER TEN,

HAWK & SABLE | TEN

THE FIRST BANQUET was a rowdy, large affair. Officials and nobles gathered around the palace gardens, laughing and chatting. Ciri and Laurence stood off to the side, observing. A few people approached them, exchanging polite words. They did their best to ward them off courteously.

They had targets, of course, as any good spies did. There was the Minister of Finance there with his wife and children, his secretary Miss Ai standing awkwardly nearby. Irina had subtly pointed out every official in the department earlier, and Ciri now balanced them around her head, matching name to face, face to name.

They would all gather here first, before the banquet properly began, when everyone would be seated and conversing with others would be more difficult. Debutantes flaunted their gowns and flirted with handsome young officials. Matrons gossiped behind raised hands, curious eyes darting around the room. Ambitious young men and women struck up conversations with ministers and officials.

"And there comes one of the well-performing accountants," Ciri mused behind a drink. They'd thin down the numbers of potential traitors, and were now seeking high-ranking department members and their most trusted employees. "Lau Kwokming. That name... from Xiang Zhou, yes? It's their dialect. I'll ask Danna about it, maybe."

Laurence eyed him. "Ambitious. Look at his clothing. He dresses above his means. Investigate his background. If his family isn't rich, he's getting money by another way." Like betraying his own country to the Meliqueans.

Ciri squinted. "The robe is a few sizes too big, and I can spot places that have been patched. He considers this an investment."

"Not him, then." It was startling, how alike they thought. Laurence's eyes trailed across the courtyard. "Lord Hua is talking to Miss Ai. Are they acquainted? We could try to ensure Miss Ai's loyalty that way."

Ciri frowned as she watched the two. William was being far too familiar, and Miss Ai wasn't meeting his eye, as if embarrassed. Blinking, she said, "They're lovers."

Laurence let out a curse. "My god," he muttered. "Is he not lovers with the Briar?"

Ciri shrugged. "I don't think she cares. You heard Io's astute observations regarding the two. Lord Hua isn't the sort of person who'd consort with traitors."

"A good traitor would remain hidden," Laurence pointed out.

"William has good instincts, but that is true. This traitor would be very skilled. Miss Ai hasn't worked for Gong daren for very long. Two years, I think. She is very young."

"The leaks only began around a year ago, did they not?" Something he had overheard them discussing. Ciri's face turned carefully blank.

"You should be careful, revealing what information you possess that you should not."

"We're working towards the same goal."

She pursed her lips, displeased. "Perhaps." She took another sip from her cup, perhaps too hastily. Was he just here to gather any information necessary? To see how strong Sai was, and how it would stand against Melique? To bargain for a stronger alliance? She could not discern his motives and it left her very confused. It was something she must discuss with the others soon. Cass would know, being so familiar with the Arecian Secret Services and Laurence himself. Ciri, who spent little time working with, against or for Arecia, had not a single clue. Lady Kuroki liked to joke that the Arecian court wasn't dangerous enough to send agents of her caliber in. Ciri was inclined to agree. When Epimur was fighting with Arecia and all those other countries twenty years ago, she might have belonged there.