SEVEN

"He said what!?" Caleigh gasps through her phone, her eyes so wide that they're practically bugging out of her skull.

"I know." Liz says, a bashful smile tugging on her lips. "I don't even know how to register that, Cal."

She squeals, laughing. "Oh my god! You guys are definitely going to get married one day."

"Oh stop." She blushes, shaking her head. "I haven't felt this way in a long time. Shit, I gotta go." She sighs. "I'll talk to you later, Cal."

"Sounds good. Love you!"

Liz laughs. "Love you too." She hangs up then stands. She strips Michael's shirt off then changes into a pair of jeans and her pub work shirt, her boots on her feet. She throws her hair into a messy bun, picks up her purse then she's out the door to her car.

+++

Liz sets down two dinner specials down in front of two handsome construction workers. "Enjoy, boys." One of them winks at her, licking his lips as she walks away.

"Here." Anna says from behind her, handing her a scrap of napkin with black ink scrawled on it. "From that boy in the orange. Asked me to give it to you."

Liz glances over her shoulder at the two neon boys in the corner booth. The one in orange winks at her and she smiles back.

The door jingles open. "You got it." Anna says from the register.

Liz turns, keeping her head down as she picks up a few menus. She looks up and her face splits into a grin. "What're you doin' here?"

Michael stands there with a huge smile, his hair neatly combed back with a nice shirt and jeans on. He's got nice boots on his feet and his glasses on his nose. "Hey beautiful."

She leans up and kisses him, smiling against his lips before she pulls back. "C'mon." She grabs his hand and pulls him to the counter. She hands him a menu. "Whatcha doin' here?"

"Missed my girl." He grins that dimpled smile. Liz laughs, not taking his order as she starts setting his usual in front of him. "How'd you know?"

"It's kinda like I know you or somethin'. You get the same thing every time you're here." He smiles to himself, looking down at the club sandwich and an iced tea.

"Man, I love you." He mumbles around a bite.

"Damn, I guess you're taken." The orange construction guy says when he comes up to the register to pay for his bill. "That's a damn shame."

Michael's head snaps up, looking over at his girlfriend ringing out a handsome, fit, blue collar boy that is definitely her type. He feels his confidence deflate and looks away.

"Hey, don't mess this up, man. She's a great girl." He says, pocketing his receipt as he hands the change back to Liz to keep for a tip. "Guess I's too late."

"See y'all tomorrow." She says, waving him and his friend off before she heads back to Michael.

"Who was that?" He asks, trying to sound upbeat but it comes out hurt.

"A couple regulars. I don't know their names." She shrugs it off. "You okay?"

"Yeah." He says unconvincingly. "When are you off?"