Chapter 13

I unhooked my cape from my neck, dramatically throwing it to the side as I threw out my first Pokéball. Lucario surged out, and Hydreigon came flying out of Orchid's.

"Aura Sphere!" I yelled, a grin on my face.

"Fire Blast!" Orchid shouted, reflecting my smile with her own.

Lucario growled as it jumped out of the way of the flames the Hydreigon had shot, a blue ball of energy collecting in its hand, which he threw at the Hydreigon as hard as he could, sending the Hydreigon into the ground, leaving a crater as Hydreigon flew back into the air, roaring.

"Fire Blast!"

"Aura Sphere again!"

This time, the fire did catch Lucario, who was sent tumbling into the ground. However, he pushed himself up as he rolled, using his legs and one arm to skid to a stop, another Aura Sphere generating in his hand. He shot forward, jumping into the hair and slamming the orb into Hydregion's face, knocking it out. Orchid returned Hydreigon, opting for Talonflame. "Flamethrower!"

I was too slow to return Lucario, and he was engulfed in the fire, crumpling to the ground. I sent in Gigalith, it's cyan stones sparkling in the sunlight. "Stone Edge!"

"Steel Wing!" Orchid yelled quickly. One of Talonflame's wings hardened into a shining metal, and it swooped in, planting the wing in Gigalith's face as stone shot from the ground, knocking Talonflame out of the air. Ludicolo flew out next, with an order to use Surf.

"Stone Edge again!" I called.

More rocks shot out of the ground, narrowly missing Ludicolo as it sent out a torrent of water, soaking Gigalith and fainting it. I returned Gigalith, next throwing out Golisopod.

"First Impression!"

"Energy Ball!"

The Ludicolo was unable to form the green orb before Golisopod took it down, jumping back as it was returned. Orchid sent in Luxray, and I switched to Dragapult in response.

"Crunch!" Orchid commanded.

"Dragon Darts!" I retaliated.

Luxray ran in, opening its mouth with a roar, snapping at Dragapult as it dodged, firing its missiles. Luxray was caught in an explosion, but jumped out of it, sinking its teeth into Dragapult.

"Now Ice Fang!" Orchid yelled.

"Get out of it! Phantom Force!" I cried.

Dragapult opened a portal, trying to throw the Luxray off, but Luxray kept its teeth sunk in Dragapult, its fangs freezing and driving deeper in. Dragapult crashed to the ground, the portal dissipating. I returned it, grabbing Rillaboom's Pokéball and sending it out. "Earthquake!"

Luxray was thrown off its feet before it could react, struggling to get up but failing. Orchid returned it. She threw in Gallade, which grunted, glaring daggers at Rillaboom.

"Drum Beating!" I exclaimed.

"X-scissor!" Orchid responded.

Gallade jumped over Rillaboom's vines, delivering two slashes directly and knocking it out.

I sent in Golisopod again, commanding it to use First Impression. Gallade held on, using Rock Slide. Golisopod, despite the hard hit, stood back up, hissing. "Liquidation!"

Gallade was knocked out, and Orchid sent in Sandaconda, her final Pokémon, ordering it to use Rock Slide as well. Golisopod was able to hit another Liquidation before falling.

I pulled out Toxtricity's Pokéball, shooting Orchid a knowing look. She returned Sandaconda, starting to Gigantamax is as the crowd roared around us. I looked down at Toxtricity's ball, which my dad had given to me as my final team member last year. I touched the ball to my forehead for a moment before extending my arm out, activating my Dynamax Band. I threw the ball over my shoulder, and Toxtricity grew into its Gigantamax form, roaring as it landed on the ground.

"Max Strike!" I screamed.

"G-max Sandblast!" Orchid Called.

Sandaconda dove underground, and Toxtricity slammed its guitar down, cracks in the ground following Sandaconda's path and erupting in a beam of energy as the ground exploded underneeth Toxtricity's feet.

The crowd was drowned out as both Pokémon exploded, shrinking down as they collapsed to the floor.

The stadium went silent, everyone staring at Sandaconda and Toxtricity, tension thick in the air. Toxtricity shook, shakily pushing itself up with a stubborn hiss, getting to its feet.

"And the winner is Shield!" the announcer yelled. Orchid returned her Sandaconda, smiling up at me. I returned Toxtricity and walked up to her, offering a handshake. She accepted, and I pulled her into a hug, surprising her.

"Don't give up, Kid. You're going places, even if you're not the Champion," I said, letting her go. I picked my cape up off the ground, clasping it around my neck and looking around the crowd before doing my 'champion gesture'. The crowd exploded in cheering, and I smiled, looking to the sky.

*****

I walked into the locker room to all the Gym Leaders, including the two who hadn't participated in the Gym Challenge, plus Hop congratulating me.

"Brilliant, that was!" Hop exclaimed. "You had me worried there for a minute!"

"What happened?" Marnie asked in a worried tone. "Yah looked like you gave up."

"I'm fine, really," I said, though I'm not sure whether I was telling the truth.

"I'm sure it was just a case of the nerves," Milo said. "We all get it, right?"

A few of the Gym Leaders agreed with him, and I laughed slightly. "Yeah, probably," I looked up at them, smiling. "I just needed a little push." Hop's smile dropped, and a few of the Gym Leaders' faces turned to concern. Even Bede, who was sitting in the background and hadn't been paying attention, looked over in surprise.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Shield..." Hop said. "You're crying."

I touched my face and found that Hop was right. Tears streamed out of my eyes. I wiped them away, but they kept coming. I laughed slightly. "Huh. You're right."

I felt a lump forming in my throat, and Marnie stepped forward, hesitantly extending her hand. "Um," I said, feeling my shoulders starting to shake. "My dad died yesterday."

All of them reacted differently. Melony gasped, covering her mouth with her hands. Raihan dropped his faulty grin completely, his mouth forming into an "o". Both Nessa and Bea froze, as if unsure what to say or do. Marnie widened her eyes and ran forward, hugging me. Hop followed, and in a few moments most of the Gym Leaders joined, all trying to comfort me.

"Oh, you poor thing," Melony said, tears of sympathy dotting the corners of her eyes.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Hop asked.

Marnie didn't speak, just squeezing me tightly. I buried my face in her shoulder, starting to sob.