9

I hear a bell ring from a distance and groan. My head hurts slightly when I try to open my eyes. I immediately close them when I realize where I am. Somehow in our sleep, Alex and I ended up turning where my back is against the couch, and my face is pressed against his chest. Both of his arms are wrapped around my back, and his head is somewhat laying on top of mine. I hear Greg walking into the back, and try to wake Alex up, but he just groans and pulls me closer to him. I decide it's better to fake being asleep, than face Greg while being pinned to the back of the couch.

"Well, I figured you were here, but I didn't expect you to be wrapped around a girl." That isn't Greg's voice. I squint my eyes shut harder. Please tell me that isn't his dad.

Alex mumbles a few words into my hair. "Fuck off, twerp." Okay, well at least it isn't his dad.

Wait, Alex is awake?! 

"Awh, come on. I came instead of dad, you could at least be appreciative." Is this his brother? I decide that I want a peek, so I lean up. He notices me and he half smiles, half smirks. "She's pretty, bro. You should introduce us."

Alex lifts his arm, and he flips him off. Alex opens his eyes and looks at me. His eye is less swollen, so that's good. "Good morning." He says to me. 

"Morning." I reply back to him. I probably look like a deer in headlights. This is a scene I never would have pictured myself in, even now. Alex's arm is still held out, flipping his brother off, but he's staring into my eyes, looking perfectly content.

Eventually he pulls his eyes away from mine, and he turns to sit on the edge of the bed. His hand rubs down his face. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" Alex looks up at the kid, who looks to be no older than fifteen.

The kid looks at me. "Hello, I'm Gabriel, but you can call me Gabe."

I nod at him. "Hello, Gabe. My name is Lelia. This isn't what it looks like." I say, hoping to steer the kid away from trying to get Alex in trouble.

Gabe smiles at me. "Hm. Well, I thought it looked like my brother decided to start trouble without me." He looks at Alex. "I wish you had called me before you went and got yourself beat up. Now what am I going to tell dad when we show up with you all bruised and battered, and me spotless?"

Alex chuckles. "Like I'd bring you into my fights. I'd be too focused on keeping you from getting hurt. Nah, I'm good."

Gabe sighs then looks at me again. "Now, I'm curious, what did you think I thought this was?" His eyebrow quirks up, and he has a devilish smile on his face.

"Gabe, don't tease her." Alex stands up, grunting and groaning the whole way up. "Is Greg here yet?" He asks, looking at Gabe.

They talk to each other, and I find myself feeling jealous of their relationship. I've got six brothers, and not even a single one would step between me and my father. Alex is very lucky. "Lelia." I look up, and Alex is looking at me. "It's time I go home. I want to warn you, my dad might not be happy to see you. He's a little old fashioned, so he's going to immediately think I'm bringing you home to meet you. He won't accept anybody he hasn't approved of first, so you'll have to give me a minute to explain the situation to him." He looks at Gabe. "Go ahead and bring the car to the door."

Gabe walks out, and I hear the door open and shut. "So are you going to tell me who your dad is before, or after I meet him?" I ask, crossing my arms across my chest. "Obviously he's someone in power."

Alex shrugs. "Probably never." He says nonchalantly. "I'll get him to help you out of that man's house, and from there, you'll probably never meet him again."

I groan. "You really are impossible." I stand up. "Well then will you explain to me what's going on here?" I point between the two of us.

His expression tightens slightly. "That'd be a no." I glare at him. "It's not like you're wrong or anything, but as I said, my dad is old fashioned. I'm not allowed that kind of freedom. I may be able to get away with a lot, but I'm also his first son. There are things expected of me." I sigh and look away from him.

"Then don't confuse me." I pick up my phone and my jacket. "Let's go." I walk ahead of him, feeling a little angry, but also upset. If he knew he wasn't going to act on it, then why did he do so many things that made me feel special?

I get in the back of the car, and slam the door shut. Gabe doesn't look up at me, but he speaks softly. "Don't be too angry at him. He's never let himself be this free with anybody. If he could, he'd probably pick you in a heartbeat."

"How did you-?" He cuts me off.

"I can see it in his eyes. He's fighting it really hard. I'm guessing he got roughed up over you. I won't tell my dad, but he'll know. It just isn't something he can give Alex. It'll break our dad's heart, but he won't give Alex that freedom." Gabe watches the door to the store, waiting patiently for Alex. "I can tell you feel something for him too, otherwise you wouldn't have been so doe eyed looking at him. He's got a good heart, probably too good. He's caused himself a lot of pain because of it. so please, don't be too hard on him."

I nod, and watch as Alex walks out of the store. Greg waves goodbye to us from the doorway. Alex climbs into the passenger seat, and Gabe drives away from the store.

It's a sunny day, and the world looks so happy, but I just feel a pit in my stomach. I look at my phone, and stare at the happy picture of Alex and I. What I would give for a few more minutes like that.

The drive is silent. Gabe is focused on the road, and Alex is focused on looking at everything but me. Me, I'm watching Alex. Since when did I feel warmth from his eyes? When did I start to hear my heart in my ears when he looked at me? Was it when he snuck me out? No. It was before then. Was it when he passed me that note in Chemistry? I look at his face in the windshield. It was probably the moment I saw him, just as angry at the world as I was, hunched over and prepared to hate whoever came to greet him. Was he expecting me? I know he probably hated me at first. He acted so cold, but I wanted to get him to open up to me. I tried to save him from my father, but I failed at that. I'm sorry, Alex. I should have done better. I should have backed away from you sooner. I promise, from here on out, I'll be as little of a nuisance as I can be. I'll try to make this easy on you, by hiding how hurt I feel, because I know you're hurting too.