Chapter 1: And There You Were

Earth-253, the year: 2068

    Emilia sat by herself at the dusty bar's counter, running her finger along the rim of her mostly empty vodka tonic. Staring down at the rising bubbles in the glass, the red head let out a long, hopeless sigh as she tucked a piece of her long locks away from her face. She had just gotten off a forty-eight hour shift from the hospital, and the first place she went was a bar of all places. She damned herself for doing so, knowing her loving girlfriend was waiting for her at the apartment they shared but something in her just couldn't bring herself to go home.

    Then all of a sudden, a voice brought the young doctor out of her thoughts. "You ok hun?" A feminine voice asked.

    Emilia looked up at the bartender with tired eyes, but managed to give her a faint smile. "Yeah I'm fine. I just got lost in my thoughts, that's all." Emilia sighed.

    "Ok. Can I get you another drink?"

    "Uh, no . I'm ok, thanks." Emilia smiled flatly.

    The bartender nodded before walking off to help another costumer. Emilia turned her attention towards the TV above her. "Florence, Italy has just been evacuated after scientists tested the waters, finding dangerously high levels of nuclear radiation poisoning in all water sources. As of the most recent census, over eight thousand people have died from the poisoning in Florence alone." The news woman spoke.

    The doctor let out yet another long, disappointed sigh as she pinched and rubbed the bridge of her nose between her slender fingers. Across the globe, hundreds of cities had been plagued with nuclear radiation poisoning lately and no one knew why. And millions had died as well; Emilia hated herself for not being able to help more than she could. "Bloody shame, isn't it?" Another female voice asked beside Emilia. This time the voice had an accent.

    Emilia turned her head to find a beautiful blonde woman with dark blue eyes sitting next to her. The woman was taller but her body was lithe and fit after Emilia observed further. As she looked closely, Emilia saw a faint scare on the woman's left cheek. She had short blonde hair that had clearly been dyed, noticeable by her exposed dark roots. Her blonde hair was done in messy, effortless curls and she wore a gold crown? Diadem? Regardless, it had horn broken off of it. Her clothes consisted of a woven black breastplate with gold and dark green accents, as well as a long black robe with a green lining inside. However, Emilia was too awestruck by the woman's beauty to even notice her odd wardrobe.

    Once Emilia snapped out of whatever trance the woman had put her under, she gave the mysterious woman a small, warm smile before letting it fall. "Yeah it is." She shrugged, not knowing what else to say. Realizing that she was being rude, the young doctor held out her hand. "I'm Emilia Jenkins."

    The woman shook Emilia's hand, making direct eye contact with the young doctor's brown eyes. "Sylvie." She replied somewhat coldly.

    There was something standoffish and distant about Sylvie. Because of this, it made it difficult for Emilia to read her. She was usually pretty good at reading others, but Sylvie had built up walls so high, not even those who were closest to her would be able to break them down, not that she had anyone to break them down. It both frustrated and intrigued Emilia. But the young doctor was persistent, and she wanted to get to know the mysterious woman beside her.

    Sylvie had no idea where she was. Her Tempad had malfunctioned, and she was sent to a random apocalypse; it was like a lottery. The goddess of mischief gazed at her surroundings and noticed she was in a dusty, rundown bar and relaxed slightly. Her side ached terribly with pain from the fight she had just escaped, knowing a rather large bruise would be waiting for her near her left kidney. She could hear herself breathing heavily as she wiped the sweat from her brow and let her blonde locks frame her petite face.

    And after running for the past three days straight, she figured the least she deserved was a drink. As she made her way towards the counter, Sylvie could feel the odd looks from just about everyone in the room. She sat down beside a woman and was shocked by how breathtaking she was. The woman beside Sylvie had long bright red hair and icy blue eyes and light freckles that speckled her nose and cheeks. The woman looked drained of energy, but nonetheless was beautiful beyond belief.

    Emilia wondered about Sylvie's accent. If she didn't know any better, she'd believe it was British. Sylvie waved the bartender over and ordered herself a drink. A few moments later, her drink arrived just as Emilia finished hers. "Hey, what year is it?" Sylvie asked out of the blue.

    Taken aback by Sylvie's odd question, she replied with a stuttering, "I uh...2068."

    The trickster goddess let out a slightly angry huff. She was displeased with Emilia's answer but knew it was best not to pry for further information, knowing that I could potentially create a nexus event and alert the TVA. Instead, she looked for other clues that could tell her specifically where she was without drawing too much attention.

    Then sirens began to wail throughout the city. The news came on again, notifying Emilia and everyone else in the bar that high levels of nuclear radiation have begun to come up through the ground and everyone should evacuate. Once Sylvie heard those words, she knew exactly where she was. But more importantly, she knew she had to get the hell off this planet before it was destroyed.

    Emilia quickly grabbed her things and and made a beeline for the door, but Sylvie grabbed her wrist. She looked at the mysterious blonde woman confused. "What are you doing? They said we have to evacuate!" Emilia shouted, her heart beating wildly out of her chest.

    Sylvie took out her Tempad, trying to find a safer place to hide for a while. She looked up at Emilia who was extremely scared and confused, her icy blue eyes wide. "Your planet won't even exist in seven minutes. If you want to live, you'll come with me." Sylvie said in a calm yet firm tone.

    Emilia was conflicted. Of course she wanted to keep her family safe, but there was something about Sylvie that was so mysterious and captivating, it made her want to follow her to god knows where. But her morals were stronger than a little crush. As Emilia was about to walk away, she saw a doorway that glowed gold appear out of nowhere. Before she could process what the doorway even was, she was pushed through by a strong force that felt inhuman. A wave of energy washed through her. Emilia fell onto the hard ground on the other side. Sylvie had pushed her through with her magic, not wanting to deal with the human's resistance. Flashes of emerald green shot out of Sylvie's hands as Emilia was thrown through the golden doorway.

    When Emilia looked up at her surroundings, she was a place she didn't recognize. The whole landscape had a odd blue tint to it, making Emilia feel subconsciously cold. The landscape was lush and full of strangely colored trees and grass. Songbirds sang their odd tune through the sky overhead while the flowers blew in the light breeze. The world seemed serene and calm. For a moment, Emilia almost felt as ease. That was until she heard crunch pebbles and rustling of grass as footsteps grew closer to her.

    She saw Sylvie looking down at her with almost a scowl of annoyance and offered a hand. Emilia took it and rose off the ground. "Where the fuck did you take me!"