Team Year One: Prospect Point

Summary: Dick takes Reese stargazing in the Black Hills over Halloween, but the two must fight for their lives when they are kidnapped by a trio of serial killers.

Note:  The first of my Halloween one-shots that I will write for the five-year gap, and probably my second favorite out of them all (Year 2 is my favorite one). This one is pretty dark, in terms of subject matter (read the summary^^) but it is something that will obviously affect Dick and Reese for years to come. I even have an idea for a sort of part 2 of this, but it doesn't come into play until Year 4.

Dick's inner monologue about his family and how they died comes from the source material of the tie-in comics. I don't remember exactly what issue it was (it was one of the early ones), but it said that, along with his parents, Dick's aunt and older cousin also died, and his uncle ended up in the hospital paralyzed and unable to care for him, which is how Dick ended up with Bruce. Just in case any of you are confused.

I've also tried to write Bruce Wayne/Batman as a good father in this story, or at least, one who's trying his best, and as many trust issues as the Dark Knight has, he knows the Team is just as much Robin's family as he and Alfred are, so keep that in mind when we get to his, Dinah's, Oliver's, and the Team's conversation in Mount Justice.

One last reminder, Rocket, M'gann, Conner, and Zatanna DO NOT know Robin's secret identity. They know Reese is dating Dick Grayson, but not that Dick Grayson is Robin, so they don't think Reese and Robin are dating. The only members of the Team who DO know (aside from Reese, obviously) are Wally, Artemis, and Kaldur.

Mindset for this chapter: Dick and Reese were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Warning(s): Kidnapping, minor anxiety attacks, police corruption, mentions of murder, attempted murder, small towns being creepy, mentions of vomiting, dynamite, & poisoned cookies

-----

H A P P Y  H A R B O R
October 31, 23:00 EDT

Wally West had been friends with Dick Grayson and Rhysalin Queen for a long time. Years now, in fact, and by now, the sixteen-year-old speedster would classify the youngest members of the Team as the two who knew him best outside of his immediate family.

But, that didn't also mean that Wally knew them best. 

Dick and Reese were both notoriously private people, bar the fact that Dick lived with the most paranoid man on the planet, neither of them was ever really open to talking about themselves, Reese especially, considering it had taken almost two years after she and the speedster had first met before the girl had opened up about how exactly Oliver Queen had come to adopt her.

Needless to say, Wally was frequently surprised by the actions of Robin and Silverbird, though over the years, he had managed to grow used to them. But, the phone call that Wally received from Dick exactly four years to the day after he and Reese had first met was by far one of the weirdest encounters...and also one of the most terrifying.

This year, the Team had all mutually decided to attend Happy Harbor High's Halloween party, since Artemis was no longer crushing on Conner--thank God--so there was no need for Reese and Zatanna to take Wally's girlfriend on a joyride through Manhattan and be chased by a homicidal maniac.