Chapter 2: A transformation

I awake with a jolt, feeling a sharp pain in my arm and it being held down. I look at my arm and see a nurse jabbing a needle into my arm. All I can say about it is, it hurts. I cry out in pain as it goes deeper, letting the nurse know I’m awake; she ignores me. 

“Stop it please...” I let the feeling of vibration take over my hearing. I feel the nurse say something like ‘no’ or ‘nope’. A tear slides down my cheek, this hurts a lot.

“Why?” I ask, the vibrations gentle, a mere whisper. She shrugs and I feel the liquid seep into my skin. I cry out again. It truly burns, what did she do to me? I soon feel the burning sensation all around my body, I scream, seeing a person walk in, they run over to my aid. I black out

I wake up exhausted and in pain. I feel tears streaming constantly down my face and see a doctor walk in. He visibly gasps, picking up a dry-erase board.

‘you have... cat ears and a tail!’ The doctor’s writing is very shaky, he’s obviously very scared. I feel my head and gasp, two furry ears were sitting atop my head. I look down to find a tail flickering, the tail is white with pale ginger splotches on.

‘I knew that nurse wasn’t giving me medicine!’ I scribble, the doctor realizes something. He glances worriedly (that doesn’t look right... Is that right? Autocorrect says it’s right...) at the door, then me. He quickly helps me out of bed to see what’s going on. I look to the room across from mine and see a girl there with... red squirrel features? We walk past a few rooms, a boy with scales up his arms and snake eyes, another girl, who has wolf features, she was recognisable, and in the last room was the most magnificent looking of all the hybrids. A boy with chestnut brown hair, coffee coloured wings rested upon his back, he had a tail matching mine and cat ears to match our tails. I let out a yelp as my back starts hurting. The boy turns my way, he has the most astonishing green eyes. I grin lopsidedly at him and yelp again. The boy runs up and rips two holes in the back of my hospital gown. I hiss as my eyes and my back start burning. 

‘Are these late effects?’ I sign to the boy, hoping he knew what I was signing. He signed a yes back and started stroking my cat ears, I smile at reach out to touch his feathery wings. I ignore the pain in my back until it amps up suddenly. I cry out and close my eyes, feeling the burning sensation worsen in them, I feel someone grab me and place me belly down on something, with my head up so I could breathe. I feel unconsciousness pulling at my mind, yet I back away from it and stay awake. The burning doesn’t stop until I feel a large tear in my skin. I start screaming and my eyes stop burning. The pain doesn’t go away for a long time. I slowly open my eyes and flick my tail upwards, they hit something soft yet sticky, most likely covered in my blood. They are wings. Soft, feathery, wings. I carefully turn over and sit up. My vision is amazing, more colourful (Not true with real cats but who cares), brighter and I can see outside clearly, even though the moon is out and barely visible behind the spring clouds. I look around and see that boy again. We start stare at each other for a moment before he nods to the bathroom connected to the hospital room, as if to tell me to clean up my wings, or have a look. I’m not fully sure. I go in and open my wings, a strange sensation to say the least. They look white, well pink due to the thin layer of blood covering them. I then look at the mirror, I wasn’t surprised to see my eyes had gone from hazel-brown human eyes to bright gold cat’s eyes. I walked quickly over to the shower in the corner and got ready.

I stepped out of the shower and dried off. I got dressed and came out of the bathroom to find the boy on a laptop, animating something. It looked like a youtuber I loved. Subzeroextabyte. I sit down next to him and watched. The animation so far was sub growing wings and cat features, a girl that looked like me appearing and growing the same features, other than the wing colour, Sub’s are coffee brown and the girl’s are snow white. I grin and poke him. He jumps and snaps the laptop closed.

‘how much did you see?’ He signed

I grinned sheepishly ‘most of it.’ I admitted. He faux-pouted and nudged me. I giggled and realized we didn’t know each other’s names.

‘what’s your name?’ I signed.

‘Just call me Sub.’ I smiled like an idiot.

‘What’s your name?’ He signs.

‘Sophia.’ I reply casually, he nods and says it’s pretty. I smile and poke him. He pokes me back, this turns into an all out poke war, us looking like idiots as a doctor came in, seeing us poking each other. Sub looks up and sees the doctor and points him out to me, seeing as I couldn’t hear him come in. The doctor held up a whiteboard telling me I had to go back to my room for my 'health' even though I feel fine. I nod and hug sub goodbye, fluttering my wings and twitching my tail. He copies my actions and grins. I flap my wings and in one quick motion, I’m back in my hospital room. But a new gift is sitting at the top of my pile. A Nerf Rebelle Agent Bow. I gasp and run over to it. Grabbing the box and tearing it apart, I find a light blue Agent Bow with three arrows attached and a note wrapped around the middle one. The note says:

Dear Sophia,

Hi! It’s the Nerf team here, we would like to give you this as a get well soon gift. There’s someone on the team that you would most likely know. When you get out of hospital, come to this address! (Insert address here) I miss you friend!

-Your friend, from the nerf team.

I see a plastic bag sitting next to where the box once was, an array of arrows and such sat there, alongside a target. I grin and pick the target up, placing it so that it hangs in the wall yet doesn’t dent or scratch it. I then pick up the bow and aim. I send arrow after arrow, grinning like the idiot I swear I am.