Chapter One

The picture is Vivianna Odair.

I chop the vegetables, nearly missing my thumb.

"Calm down," Greasy Sue says. She is from District Twelve. Coal. The place was bombed and only nine hundred and sixteen out ten thousand survived. I set my knife down and check my schedule.

"I'm going on my lunch break," I inform Greasy Sue. I start to walk out.

"See you tomorrow," she calls after me. I stop and turn around.

"I won't be coming back," I inform her. "Coin moved me to another position."

She nods her head. I return to what I was doing before. I grab my tray when I enter the mess hall and sit in the corner by myself. I look down at my carrots and peas mush and meat with a glass of water. I just sit there and mix around my mush. One of the new guys from Twelve sit next to me. I stop my fork and turn to him.

"What do you want?" I snap. I have an anger issue. Soooooo, no friends for me. Except for Coin. When I arrived here, her and her husband took care of me with their daughter. Two years ago, the man and daughter died. So now I don't trust people.

"I thought you would want company," he informs me. He has dark brown hair and grey eyes. And like the rest of us, he is in our military jump suits.

"And you are?" I ask.

"Gale Hawthorne," he replies. He holds out his hand for me to shake.

"Vivianna," I say as I shake his hand.

"Do you have a last name?"

"Nope. Only Vivianna." No one but four people know my last name. One is in rehab, one promised never to tell anyone without my permission, the third is unconscious, and the last wants to kill me. I return to my food.

"You know, making friends involves talking to them," Gale states.

"I don't need friends," I inform him. He laughs at that. I roll my eyes and look back at my meal. A girl around thirteen with blonde hair comes running in and over to Gale.

"She'll be up in a few minutes," she says to him. He gets up and takes off. That means my brother is up. I get up and clear my spot. I head to the infirmary, lying saying that I was here by Coin's orders. I walk in his room to see him sitting on a bed, making knots in a piece of rope and undoing them. I close the door, bringing his attention to me.

"Hey little sis," Finnick smirks.

"I'm not your little sister any more," I point out. I sit on a stool. "I left you nine years ago. After Mom and Dad died. After the Sixty Sixth game."

He stops smirking and looks at the rope in his hands. It's probably his therapy. Mine was sewing.

"I could have found a way to protect you," he mumbles. "I learned what to do after that mistake."

He laughs and continues.

"Remember that time on the tour where you ate so much that you got so sick."

"I went with on the tour because we had no one to watch me," I remind him. He nods his head. I huff at him. He may have been a warrior in the games. But now he is just an empty shell.

"If you are going to be like this, go," Finnick orders. I get up and leave. I have better places to be. I head to Coin's office. We have to plan for the Mockingjay.