Chapter 23

You might hate me while reading this chapter, but don't kill me yet. Enjoy!

I hummed along to the song that was currently playing on the radio as I focused on the homework in front of me. Ross was currently at work, leaving me alone in the apartment with nothing to do. Since I had homework due in a few days, I decided to just get it done now. If I knew Ross, and I did, he would be copying my homework later. 

After finishing up my homework and taking a quick shower to help soothe my aching back, I changed into some comfy clothes and lounged out on the couch, the TV on a random channel. "Why the hell is Dora on?" I questioned aloud, reaching for the remote to change. "Hmm, is How I Met Your Mother On?" I flipped to the channel it normally played on and grinned when I saw Ted, Lilly, and Marshall. "Hell yeah!" 

I managed to watch two episodes before my back started hurting again, and I had to stand up. As much as I loved being pregnant, I could do without the constant back pain and swollen feet. Those sucked. 

Just as I was about to go to the bathroom, my phone started ringing. I quickly grabbed it and answered, already knowing it was Rydel since her ring tone was playing. "Hey, Del. What's up?" I sat on the arm of the couch and placed my hand on my stomach, grinning when I felt Olivia kick my hand. 

Sniffling was heard on the other end, and my smile immediately fell. "Sky, R-Ross is...he's..."

"He's what, Del?" I asked, panicked. I knew something was wrong just by the sound of her voice. 

More sniffling was heard. "He's in the hospital." She choked out, letting out a sob. 

I froze, my hand falling to my side, causing my phone to drop to the floor. It took me about a minute to snap out of it, and I quickly snatched my phone, pressing it to my ear frantically. "I-Is he okay? What's going on? What happened?" I was on the verge of having a panic attack, and the only reason I was trying to calm myself down was because of Olivia. Stress wasn't good for her. 

Silence was all I heard, and I immediately knew that wasn't a good sign. "A drunk driver swerved onto his lane," She began after a few moments of silence, her sniffling subsiding slightly. "He-he tried getting out of the way, b-but it was too late." She let out a sob. "It's bad, Sky." 

Tears began to roll down my cheeks, and it took all I had to not break down right then. I was hoping this was a sick joke that Ross wanted to play, but Rydel's crying told me it wasn't. Ross was in the hospital, possibly dying. 

"I need to be there." I whispered, my voice cracking. "Please come get me, Del. I need to be there." Olivia kicked right then and I let out a tiny sob. 

"Ellington is already on his way." She told me. "Everyone's already here in the waiting room." There was a short pause. "He's in surgery."

"Surgery?" I choked out, covering my mouth with my hand. I wiped my cheeks with the back of my hand, only to have new tears replace the old one's. 

She sniffled. "They said he had internal bleeding." I heard her hiccup. "God, Sky, what if he dies? I can't lose my baby brother, I can't." 

I shook my head, tears continuously falling from my eyes. "Don't talk like that, Del. Ross is strong, he'll be fine." I wasn't sure if I was reassuring her or myself. A knock on the door was heard and I immediately knew who it was. "Ellington's here." I told her as I opened the door to let him in. 

"We're on the third floor, the waiting room in the west wing." She replied. "I know it's hard, Sky, but you have to try and stay calm."

I bit my lip, nodding even though she couldn't see me. "I know." I answered quietly. "We'll see you soon." I hung up and turned to Ellington who had been watching me silently. I just shook my head and broke down, the thought of Ross not making it out alive burning in my brain.