ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

A man and his friend, who lies bleeding to death in his arms

"Oda.. why?" it comes as a whispered sentence of grief. 

The one called Odasaku replies, struggling for breath. "Dazai, listen to me. There's something I want to say to you."

Sensing the tone of finality in Oda's voice, anger and fear flickers in the other man's eyes. He has lost his usual composure. "No. Don't!" he says vehemently. "You might still make it. No, you will make it! So don't talk like-"

Oda places a hand on his arm, halting Dazai's words. "Listen. You told me that you might find a reason to live if you lived in a world of violence and bloodshed."

"Yeah, I did. But who cares what I said now?" 

"You won't find it," continues Oda, looking into Dazai's eyes fiercely. "You must know that already. Whether you're on the side that kills people, or on the side that saves people, nothing beyond what you would expect will appear."

Dazai looks shocked.

His friend continues. "Nothing in this world can fill that lonely hole you have. You will wander the darkness for eternity."

Hanging on every word, Dazai asks, "Oda, what should I do?"

A kind but intense stare fixes him in place. "Be on the side that saves people. If both sides are the same, become a good man. Save the weak, and protect the orphans." Odasaku's eyes close, and he pauses to take a laboured breath. "Neither good nor evil means much to you, I know.. but that'd make you at least a little bit better."

"How do you know that for sure?"

"Of course I know. I know better than anyone. Because.. I am your friend." With this, Oda's eyes open once more.

Resolve enters into Dazai's voice as he speaks. "I see. I'll do that."

Almost to himself, Oda whispers, "People exist to save themselves, huh.. how true." 

Then, his hand goes limp and falls to his side. An almost peaceful expression crosses his face. 

There are no more tears in Dazai's expression. He gently lets Odasaku's body onto the floor, and stays still for a moment. The death of one of his first and last true friends. He decides to make Oda's final wish come true.

❦❦❦

Two weeks later, the door of a bar slides open with a sound, announcing the arrival of a new customer. Cheery music floats into the night air. Dazai walks through the door and into a seat across from a man. Chief Tanada, of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.

"Drinking alone? How lonesome," says Dazai, a closed-eye smile on his face. 

"I heard you had gone underground for a while," the Chief replies, in a more curious than suspicious voice.

With the smile still on his face, Dazai says, "I'm looking for a new job. Do you know any good positions?"

So begins Dazai's job at the Agency.

A/N: As this is the prologue, it's still quite short

A/N: As this is the prologue, it's still quite short. Akari will be introduced soon! <33

DISCLAIMER: The drawings of female Dazai do not belong to me. The credit goes to the artist @/Danpungnim.